Search the forum,

Discuss Do i replace my old Baxi Bermuda boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cis4cookie

Just bought my first home and there's a baxi Bermuda 50/6 back boiler currently there, all working of course. Ive had many people tell me to replace it with a combi as it will be more efficient and I will be getting robbed using the current back boiler. My question is do I get a combi fitted or just keep the current back boiler, my sister also has a back boiler which has been going strong and hassle free for years and her bills are not insanely high like people say.

see how you get on after winter, for longer run you would probably save money on bills by getting new more efficient boiler. Note, i have nothing against some old boilers as they are good and reliable, unfortunately not as efficient as new ones.

had a lot of different opinions on this with regards to running costs and heard a lot of bad things about combis breaking and costing a lot to repair, I personally have no idea but currently renovating the home so if I was to fit a new boiler now would be the time to save any disruption in a year or 2. Really un sure what to do tbh

You don't have to have a Combi as a new boiler, if your Hot water cylinder is in good condition have a heat only boiler.

Old boilers can go on for years of they've been looked after, but you're right, newer boilers can have lower running costs. It will take a few years to get your money back through reduced bills, though. However, if you're renovating, then now is the right time to have the work done in my opinion. Why are you set on a combi, though? You have a Baxi Bermuda, so you already have a hot water cylinder - just upgrade to a modern system or heat-only boiler, and unvented cylinder. It'll blow the socks off a combi for hot water performance, and there's less to go wrong with a heat-only boiler..

well I had a few people look and they all said a combi would most suit the property, I was also told that a lot of fitters opt for that as its an easier install for them

It's also cheaper to install, there not a lot of difference between a system boiler a d a combi.
Nows the time to do it if your having a re furb.
There are load of different opinions on combi brands, stick with a well known brand. But nothing Italian or French.

well I had a few people look and they all said a combi would most suit the property, I was also told that a lot of fitters opt for that as its an easier install for them

Yes, it is easier to install, and customers like them because they free up space by losing the cylinder. But no combi will match the hot water delivery of an unvented cylinder. More expensive initially, but the performance will make up for that.

How big is the property? How many bathrooms?

Yes, it is easier to install, and customers like them because they free up space by losing the cylinder. But no combi will match the hot water delivery of an unvented cylinder. More expensive initially, but the performance will make up for that.

How big is the property? How many bathrooms?
Both choices depend on incoming supply and what customer needs are

Service the baxi, maintain it, don't cover up your ventilation with wallpaper and hang on to it as long as you can. It will outlive any modern boiler if its looked after. The running costs will be slightly higher but as dancin has said invest in good house insulation instead.

i would stick with your current vented cylinder if it was my house just get a heat only boiler , not seen anyone mention the pressure differencr tho on sealed system offering a possibility of a fitting going ping !

Thanks for all the quick replys guys, really helpful stuff. The house is a 2 bedroom 2 up 2 down fairly large rooms I suppose running 5 rads in total plus a small towel rail I intend to fit in the bathroom. Just about to insulate the loft before boarding out and planning to have the cavity's done also. With regards to the space in the fireplace around the current boiler can this be packed with insulation or do you have to leave it open around it.

Stick with the bermuda. Top boiler. But have it serviced regularly, the flue liner can't last forever.

Leave the fireplace as it is, you will have to disturb gas joints for that and will require a gas safe engineer for that.

also you would be causing a fire hazard!
my suggestion would be is to keep the back boiler and if you have concerns about hot water, check if you can have an unvented and if so have that installed and convert the system to fully pumped if it isn't already.

in the event the boiler goes pop in the future, just install a new boiler above the cylinder :D

Noticed that there is insulation around the liner up the chimney, so this is why I wondered if insulation could be put around the boiler itself

Insulation & upgrade your controls, if cylinder looks old with the old type (Red) insulation jacket replace it! for more efficient cylinder, if you are stuck for space for a new boiler, look at the new baxi HE back boiler replacement, But it comes with electric fire.

Noticed that there is insulation around the liner up the chimney, so this is why I wondered if insulation could be put around the boiler itself

How have you seen that? You have to take the fire front off to inspect it!

How have you seen that? You have to take the fire front off to inspect it!
Had a gas engineer round to move our cooker pipe and I asked if he could remove the fire front so I could have the boiler possibly serviced but I wanted to gain access to the horrible fire surround to possibly replace it with some sort of tile or brick effect. depending on what the plan was

Last edited by a moderator:
It stops the debris from falling on to the boiler.

cheers guys, on another note what would the cost be of changing to a fully pumped system, sure I have seen them sold as a kit for everything needed

cheers guys, on another note what would the cost be of changing to a fully pumped system, sure I have seen them sold as a kit for everything needed

Materials i have no idea but as for labour that can very on the set up.
when you do it you will need new zones valves, tank stat, pump and programmer.
new wiring centre and thermostat if you feel like it too.

it really isn't somthing that you want to attempt yourself as there will be issues with pump over and such if you don't know what you're doing.
i do this as a job and i learned that the hard way first time round!

The chimney opening shall have only two openings: The front of the builders opening and the opening in the flue liner. All other openings including the annular space between the chimney and liner must be sealed, this includes the sides of the chimney opening where the water and gas pipes pass through. This prevents risk of additional air movements which could induce POC to spill from the back boiler/fire and pass up the outside of the flue liner or up the pipe duct into your airing cupboard.

Either leave it alone or get a combi fitted trying to upgrade it is going to be a waste of money personally id be inclined to stay with the baxi for as long as possible and put the money in premium bonds you might get lucky

My only concern with leaving it in is the upheaval and damage to decor and laminate floors etc, when a new one is eventually required.

If you are carrying out a refurb and are concerned with the upheaval at a later date now is the time to fit a new boiler and upgrade the system. Some have said keep it, i agree they were well made and good in their day and might outlast a new boiler but they are really considered to be at the end of their life. I have seen quite a few with perforated metal work of the combined flue and the flue liners don't last forever. If you decide to keep it i strongly suggest you have it serviced and inspected regularly (at least annually), not being a room sealed boiler makes this an absolute necessity.

Sadly you have to put up with drafts , with old tech ,as it needs to breathe for safety !

(in mid winter those drafts get cold) Upgrade if you don't enjoy icy fresh air

I must have some Scottish blood in me !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do i replace my old Baxi Bermuda boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock