Search the forum,

Discuss DFE Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
My weakest area of experience/knowledge in gas appliances are fires [emoji15]

Other than the hearth, I don't see any issues with this fire???? Visual inspection only.

What am I not seeing?

EDIT: ignore the coals which seem to be all over the place and not placed correctly.

55f981258b7fd5398a79482670f6d2bb.jpg

Last edited:
Did you light it?

Nope.. woman just asked me to check it visually. Said another engineer just looked at it and said she needed a bigger basket.

I said I would test the flue and if there was no spillage and the FF passed I wouldn't see an issue with the fire.

But told her I would double check regarding the basket. Apparently the other engineer said it would help with air flow. But I don't see how a bigger basket would affect the performance of the flue.

Is it a tray behind the front fret?, possibly overloaded with too many coals, is that why he wants a bigger basket.? I also can't see how a bigger basket would help airflow. The tray has to fit the opening anything bigger than you have will protrude outside the opening, risking fumes into the room.

Is it a tray behind the front fret?, possibly overloaded with too many coals, is that why he wants a bigger basket.? I also can't see how a bigger basket would help airflow. The tray has to fit the opening anything bigger than you have will protrude outside the opening, risking fumes into the room.

Exactly.. that's what I thought. Think I'll see if she has MI's for coal placement and do a flue test. Cheers stani

You will need the mi,s to check ventilation and cross sectional flue sizes ,most DFE are 100 mm vent and 175 mm flue

You will need the mi,s to check ventilation and cross sectional flue sizes ,most DFE are 100 mm vent and 175 mm flue

Ventilation is fine as they have a 100cm2 vent.. will have to check flue size.. cheers gasman

I don't think he will be able to sort out snots in a conventional flue

Shots are cement that hasn't been cut off when the flue was built, notorious on precast flues, where they physically reduced the overall area of the flue.

Shots are cement that hasn't been cut off when the flue was built, notorious on precast flues, where they physically reduced the overall area of the flue.

Ohhh ok.. no didn't see any. Flue looked ok to me. Still wouldn't require a new basket. Just wonder why the other engineer would say it needed one. Thought I was missing something.

Anyway, gonna service the fire if she has MIs and test everything and will make a judgement call if it stays on on!

Cheers guys

Jay, you have to be careful. f anyone asks me to "look" at something )normally while I am doing another job), I always refuse. I am all in or nothing. You have suggested to the punter that the fire s okay but you will check. You say the flue "seems" clear? Did you do the flue flow test, and checked the route of the flue? (your post is not really clear on that)
If there is a witness to the "check", followed by an incident, you will be in the proverbial.

Having said that, the fire looks okay but in dire need of a service, and proper coal placement. there should be an isolation valve, but the absence of one is only (in old parlance) NCS. Is there a data badge? It is always better to post a pic of the controls with the ash pan cover removed. As for a bigger "basket" - what did he mean? A bigger basket is essentially a new fire, but he may have meant a bigger fret, which would help air flow, and many fire MIs show minimum free areas through the fret.

Jay, you have to be careful. f anyone asks me to "look" at something )normally while I am doing another job), I always refuse. I am all in or nothing. You have suggested to the punter that the fire s okay but you will check. You say the flue "seems" clear? Did you do the flue flow test, and checked the route of the flue? (your post is not really clear on that)
If there is a witness to the "check", followed by an incident, you will be in the proverbial.

Having said that, the fire looks okay but in dire need of a service, and proper coal placement. there should be an isolation valve, but the absence of one is only (in old parlance) NCS. Is there a data badge? It is always better to post a pic of the controls with the ash pan cover removed. As for a bigger "basket" - what did he mean? A bigger basket is essentially a new fire, but he may have meant a bigger fret, which would help air flow, and many fire MIs show minimum free areas through the fret.

Didn't test the flue as she just wanted an opinion about the basket. I advised her I would need to test the flue (flue flow and spillage) to ensure the safe operation of the flue. Regarding the fret, I can't see any problem with it. Thing is, the other engineer didn't test the flue either. He just looked at it and immediately said it needs a bigger basket/fret. I'm not questioning his advice as I'm sure he's a lot more experienced than I am, but I wanted to know so I can learn.

I've asked her if she has MI's so I can service the fire, if she doesn't I'm not gonna touch it (unless there's a data badge and I can download them)

My apologies.

On first glance at that shambles of a fire, I assumed you were looking at one in an ACS training centre. IF that's in someone's house and you've seen it and been asked to look at it, I would have gone to town and done a thorough inspection and testing session on it.

Hearth measurements
Ventilation
Smoke test
Visual up flue
In loft ( flue route etc)
Spillage
Gas pressures
Coal arrangement
The works.

I don't know why I thought it was in a training centre, the only thing that made me look twice was the fact that there are no 'finger inflicted black spillage simulating marks on the wall'

My apologies.

On first glance at that shambles of a fire, I assumed you were looking at one in an ACS training centre. IF that's in someone's house and you've seen it and been asked to look at it, I would have gone to town and done a thorough inspection and testing session on it.

Hearth measurements
Ventilation
Smoke test
Visual up flue
In loft ( flue route etc)
Spillage
Gas pressures
Coal arrangement
The works.

I don't know why I thought it was in a training centre, the only thing that made me look twice was the fact that there are no 'finger inflicted black spillage simulating marks on the wall'

Lol no not in a test centre! I'm going back for a different job next week so I'm going to sort the fire also.. in which I WILL go to town on it ;)

my post was really to find out why someone on first impression without any tests or even looking up the flue would say it needs a bigger basket or fret.. I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

I already told her the hearth is too small since it has to come out 300mm - she said that's never been mentioned before, I said what if a coal fell out, it'll go straight in your combustible wooden flooring!!! So that alone is AR.. I'm sure I'll find other reasons to shut it off ...

Yes.

Have a look at gas pipe beneath it too, if it runs in the catchment space it should be protected

( wrapped)

Undersized hearth with no signs of distress is NOT AR.
The function of a hearth is to provide a physical barrier to standing too close to the fire, and to protect floor covering from radiated heat.
Is the hearth on the floor, or is it up a height? some fires have different requirements for these, and some can be fitted with NO hearth, if high enough. (although probably not that one)
Also. I cannot see the bottom section of the ash pan cover. It typically has two openings, left and right, and, as I said, some fires have a diagram showing the minimum free area. I was not specific enough - it shows WHERE the free area should be. This is because inset tray fires are typically sold without specific frets, and the customer can select from a range offered by the retailer, so the fire maker has no control over the design.

I suspect that you are going to go down the route of "finding" a reason to disconnect. Why not do the job properly - maintain and repair as necessary, and charge accordingly. We are not called "service engineers" for nothing.

It probably just needs a good clean, andcorrect placement of the coals - and you may impress the client

Undersized hearth with no signs of distress is NOT AR.
The function of a hearth is to provide a physical barrier to standing too close to the fire, and to protect floor covering from radiated heat.
Is the hearth on the floor, or is it up a height? some fires have different requirements for these, and some can be fitted with NO hearth, if high enough. (although probably not that one)
Also. I cannot see the bottom section of the ash pan cover. It typically has two openings, left and right, and, as I said, some fires have a diagram showing the minimum free area. I was not specific enough - it shows WHERE the free area should be. This is because inset tray fires are typically sold without specific frets, and the customer can select from a range offered by the retailer, so the fire maker has no control over the design.

I suspect that you are going to go down the route of "finding" a reason to disconnect. Why not do the job properly - maintain and repair as necessary, and charge accordingly. We are not called "service engineers" for nothing.

It probably just needs a good clean, andcorrect placement of the coals - and you may impress the client

To be honest I'd rather not shut it off, but the state that the fires in it doesn't look safe to me. I haven't got as far as dealing with the fire yet as I'm doing other stuf in the house at the mo. But the manual is no longer available so I can't service it either.

Unless you know where I can get one from? I've searched online but can't find anything. It's a Brilliant 16TCDL.

The ash pan cover has no openings at all.

The fire is about 3 inches above floor level and protrudes about 1 inch from the wall surface. It's my lack of experience and confidence with fires that made me think the hearth was too small. I've never seen a DFE fitted above floor level before. But at least I've learned something ;)

Thing is, without the manual I can't confirm if the hearth has been done properly either.

Manufacturer doesn't even have the manual any more! I've scoured google and the only reference to the manual is someone else looking for one lol

Pathetic. How can a manufacturer not keep at least one copy?

Then you have 2 choices - carry on using default rules, the only problem being the coal set up, ut many older inset tray fires just told you to lay the coals randomly, leaving plenty of spaces. If you go for that, make sure you warn them coals may soot up. The hearth is at worst the old NTCS. Otherwise, sell em anew fire!

Pathetic. How can a manufacturer not keep at least one copy?

Then you have 2 choices - carry on using default rules, the only problem being the coal set up, ut many older inset tray fires just told you to lay the coals randomly, leaving plenty of spaces. If you go for that, make sure you warn them coals may soot up. The hearth is at worst the old NTCS. Otherwise, sell em anew fire!

Tell me about it. You'd have thought they'd have a copy in archive or something but no! Thanks for the info firemant! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DFE Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable...
Replies
Views
Hi. just had my probationary inspection. Most of the inspection went ok, apart from when the inspector asked me questions about gas fires and gas...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock