Search the forum,

Discuss Damp wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mojoe

just took an 8ft rad offf to replace with new one as it had pin holes in it ,and when i got rad off the wall behind was very damp with massive cracks the wall was just crumbing off every were.
I only had an hour to fit new rad as customer was on his way to work so i had to leave old rad off and cap the trv off.
was just wondering what best thing to do is, customer wants me to use some big bum plugs and screws but im concerned about size and weight of rad with the state of the wall i did sugest getting wall sorted first but he just said he doesnt care as hes selling house ,but if it drops off in a couple of days it will be my fault.Should i refuse to fit untill wall is sorted or will the big bum plugs and screws work? thanks

I would just walk away from the job, but you could get the customer to sign a disclaimer that if it falls off due to the wall being in a bad condition, its not your fault.

thanks tweakyboy this was my first time stepping into customers house so i was very nervous i wasnt sure if id done the right thing didnt want to leave the job half done but i also didnt want to leave with my name on when it could possibly fall off

they did say they just had some damp proofing done but only to the outside? and that 3 plumbers came to have a look and never came back?

If you want a comfortable Christmas I'd be the fourth plumber in that line!!

Unless the money's right of course!!

I'd use some long screws, you can tell when you tighten the screw if it's going to hold or not

first thing,
i never let the customer tell me how long it will take to do a job..

yes redshaw i shouldnt of let myself be put on a time limit but i know for next time will make sure that doesnt happen again i have told them to get wall sorted and i will finish job the wife seems ok but the husband now wants me to just knock all the plaster off till its brick and the fit it, cant see potential buyers being happy with that, will wait and see if they phone me back or just get someone else to fit it as they want

I have a builder mate and just send him along to sort out any problems with damp in such situations.

Tell the customers they have a problem which needs sorting and you know just the guy.........

Screw the new one on with big brass or stainless screws.

I have a similar problem with a wall in my house and one of these days (as I have said for the past few years) I will get round to sorting it out. Radiator brackets are looking a bit rusty!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damp wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into the wall with a right angle connector. There is no place to break into it to connect up a new arrangement for a new sink. So does anyone make a...
Replies
Views
J
Hi. I moved in to a new build home and 3 years later (after the builders warranty expires) the boiler is slipping off the wall at one side. This is putting pressure on the flue. Not something I’m happy with. Does anyone know the guidelines on how they should be fitted? I want to prove they...
Replies
Views
My sister bought a new build property which has wall hung toilets, NK by Noke Porcelona The pans are all moving enough for the silicone sealant to fail across the top of the pan and if you put a bit of weight on it it opens up by about 5mm. They've been in use (light use 4 toilets in a holiday...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock