Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting copper with angle grinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

I am having a new boiler fitted soon.

I need to remove all old pipe (which should be easy as I have all the ceilings down so can see all the pipes)

I am going to remove all of the old copper and sell it and then have new pipes (they will be in different positions anyway).

Problem is that many of the pipes are in awkward to cut places - bets solution is to use a hacksaw with an open end but this will take forever.

I presume you can use an angle grinder to cut through copper which will be ideal as a 4incher will get into most places I need approach most pipes directly from udnerneath.

Only concern is the angle grinder will be a bit drutal and as I am workign in confined space may be a bit dangerous.

So will an angle gridner easily cut through copper or will I get problems with lots of sparks and difficulty in cutting through easily?

Goggles gloves and correct blade no problem. Follow instructions for grinder and you will be fine.

Hope your installer knows you've looted the job!

Just hack through it Fella, mind the wet black gunge when cutting with a grinder, it will spray everywhere!!

All that copper dust, pipe slice, fein cutter or just a hammer and chisel.

Pipe slice will fit into nearly any spot it there is 1/2" space behind the pipe. Trouble is you might have different sized pipes (15mm & 22mm etc) so might need more than one size slice.
Junior hacksaw for some bits & a cold chisel & hammer if you can get away with brute force in an awkward part.

Reciprocating saw googles and bin bags and your well away, mind you I'm always disappointed if I turn up and someone has stripped all the copper out!! It's called plumbers gold for a reason.

Pipe slice best way to go dont put yourself in a silly position up a ladder with grinders and electric saws when a simple pipeslice will do and all the risk is removed apart from the fall factor, lol

Plumber is aware I am getting rid of pipes.

I can't get a pipe slice in properly because the pipes are so close to the bottom of the floorboards - I can't get any rotation on the pipe slice

Fair point about the water- all the radiators are off but i spose there may still be residual water in the system - it has been drained off with a hosepipe.

You can, but pipes will require a fair bit of sanding and prepping before they can be soldered afterwards. Pipeslice is much better bet, sometimes if the pipes are close you have to use pump pliers to get a good turn on it.

If you were to use a grinder. I
wouldnt use it on any gas pipes. Even if it is isolated. You
never know it could be letting by and a spark from the grinder and you may be in a bit of trouble.

I have one 22m gas pipe

It is isolated in that the guy capped it off at the mains by putting something over the hole.

Why not just lift the floorboards and cut em out then it's nice and easy for your installer when it comes to running new

Just use a handy bar to lever up the copper pipes so you can get a slice on them. Turn the slice with grips as said before if its awkward.

a good multi tool with a decent blade should work well.

the gas pipe although capped at the meter is still carrying gas and needs to be treated with care, best removed by your engineer and ends capped if any bits are left in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cutting copper with angle grinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock