Discuss Couple of questions ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
1. Potential job. Cracked shower tray. 3 of 4 sides of shower have tiled walls on top of them. The fourth side has the screen door on top. You with me? So potentially quite jammed "in there." How much of a mission would it be to replace this? I imagine if I broke / cut the tray up in situ and yanked the bits out I'd get it out after (worst case scenario...) an hour or so. Squeezing the new one in though... I've no idea how hard this might be. I said they'd almost certainly lose at least a row of tiles.

I've never personally, solo, fitted a shower tray. Worked alongside a plumber doing so twice - but not in a particularly hands on way. Done 200 or so other plumbing jobs, few suites, lots of taps, toilets, rads etc... So, firstly, is this a nightmare type of job - any tips? And secondly, should I not attempt until I've at least fitted one from scratch in a less tight and tough situation?

2. Slotted basin wastes. What is the deal? Are you really meant to silicone every bit of it? Obviously silicone under rim at top. Then many suggest between doing so also between washer and basin underneath. But for the last 2 or 3 I did I then find unless I silicone around the gap between the nut and threaded tail at the bottom that leaks too. Presumably some water going down the waste goes out of the overflow hole in the waste and runs down. It just seems so bodge-like. Unless I'm missing something? I don't over-tighten. Just hand-tight and then a 1/4 turn tweak.

Hi watertight. You have pretty much answered your own questions. I can never get the tray out or new one in without taking off the bottom row of tiles. And the door off, as this will be mastiked to bottom tile and not forgeting the bottom horizontal bar.
Slotted waste has to mastiked up around bottom nut like you said.

If enough thread on the bottom of a slotted waste you could fit a 'Basin Mate', no need for mastic then. Only a couple of quid from merchants.

hello my name is gurmeet gulati i live in kingston. i have just finished level 2 for plumbing and going to start level 3 soon . i was looking for someone to work with so i can get apprentaonship and get work experience . it would be great if someone would get in contact with me and help me out . thanxz for your time hope to hear from you soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Couple of questions ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock