Search the forum,

Discuss Corrosion since drain down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just over a year ago I had a leak on one of the valves on my Boilermate 2000, so it was drained down and a new valve fitted.

On drain down, the water looked quite clean.

British Gas did the job and refilled the tank, but with no inhibitor, as apparantly that 'isn't part of the job'. Also I didn't think at the time to bypass the water softener we have fitted, so it was filled with softened water.

I complained about the lack of inhibitor to BG but all they would offer is a return visit to add it if I purchased it.

After a couple of weeks I added it myself, draining a few litres out and then adding 2 x bottles of Sentinel X100.

All is working fine apart from a clunk from one radiator when the heating cuts in. I thought I would bleed it thinking there might be some air trapped although there were no cold spots. I think it may have done this before but I can't remember.

I noticed that the water is now quite dark, similar to Coke.

Is it a cause for concern? Could it be linked to the previous drain down with softened water? X100 is ok with softened water according to the manufacturer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The clink is probably caused by the control valve on the radiator being installed on the return and not the flow.

Which valve heats up first - the valve that goes clunk or the one on the other side?

Thanks.

The valve is on the correct side. It's always set to maximum and heats up evenly so it's not really an issue.
I was more concerned when bleeding that the water was quite brown despite having ample X100. It was quite clear when draining just over a year ago.

Would the drain/refill have contributed by stirring it up? It seems Boilermate thermal stores do seem to be affected by sludge etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corrosion since drain down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock