Discuss Constant Dripping Condensate Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbingvirgin

The condensate on my boiler is dripping constantly (even though it has a syphon trap) - I am trying to address this problem but need advice on a couple of things to try and pin-point exactly what the problem is.

Question #One - the area where it is dripping has gone green/yucky algae. I thought condensate was acidic so unlikely that algae would grow - is this correct? So what is dripping out of here? (There is only the condensate pipe in this area.)

Question #Two - I firmly believe that the constant dripping is causing me to lose pressure (for reasons still to be resolved). Would this also lead to a build-up of air in my rads?

Question #Three - the boiler is 2 months out of guarantee - if a part needs replacing and I get the manufacter in are they going to be sympathetic, or laugh and charge full wack? Any experience of this?

Many thanks

i don't think the condensate will cause your pressure to drop, if the pressure is dropping in the system its either a leak or the expansion vessel, so there may well be a leak inside the boiler itself.

switch off ur boiler and take off the casing and look for any leaks if you can.

Obviously you should only remove the boiler casing if you are gsr.

Are you sure it's the condense dripping, is the pipe dripping copper or plastic?

If it's copper, it will be your prv passing and your expansion vessel will need attention, this will cause your pressure to drop.

If the pipe dripping is in plastic, it is your condense pipe. This could well be your main heat exchanger has an internal leak and discharging out of the condense, again this will cause your pressure to drop.

I'll be careful!

It is the plastic pipe, not copper.
I would be interested to hear views/comments on any of my three questions.

Thanks

well i'm with washer on it being an internal leak in the heat exchanger or something, but obviously you need to get someone who is gsr to fix it.

Is this a b rated boiler with the 2nd condensing heat exchanger?. If so there may be corrosion on this heat ex leaking into the condensate trap and causing constant drops and dropping pressure.

Have found this on several b rated boilers. I suppose this could also be a problem on an a rated boiler but have not come across it.

Is this a b rated boiler with the 2nd condensing heat exchanger?. If so there may be corrosion on this heat ex leaking into the condensate trap and causing constant drops and dropping pressure.

Have found this on several b rated boilers. I suppose this could also be a problem on an a rated boiler but have not come across it.

aren't the heat exchangers made of stainless steel etc to prevent corrosion ?

aren't the heat exchangers made of stainless steel etc to prevent corrosion ?

No a lot are aluminium and if there are any impurities that get in there in either manufacture or from the system then they can corrode quite rapidly.

I fitted Alpha about 18 months ago and the heat ex went within 12 months, despite a powerflush of the system when it was fitted. Alpha did replace under guarantee.

Many thanks for the inputs so far. Any takers for my specific questions?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Constant Dripping Condensate Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4...
Replies
Views
In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the...
Replies
Views
I have an Alpha Intec boiler installed on my loft wall. The flue goes horizontally from the top of the boiler and passes through the wall, exiting...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, my sister's 5 year old Worcester Greenstar CDi Classic boiler is losing pressure rapidly[down from 1.5bar to zero overnight]. I...
Replies
Views
Back