Discuss Connecting to newly fitted water meter, in a field in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wally5460

Hi can someone please offer me a bit of advice, my dad own a smallholding with farm buildings on it he is having mains water run to a location next to the main barn. bristol water have dug a trench to run the pipework and are coming to connect to the mains just inside the boundry of the land. I have been asked to run the pipework(approx 150m long in mdpe) and have it ready to connect to the meter when they come to install. My questions are........

1. what size connection will it be on the meter 1/2" or 3/4"?

2. do i need to put metal tags at 1m intervals along the pipe to aid future detection?

3. what type of connector is used to connect to the meter (screwfix page /item no. would be a great help)

4. are there any other special requirements ie dc vales etc.

I have good basic plumbing skills and knowledge but am usually fitting bathrooms and the radiator so a quick bit of guidance would be a great help.

Thanks

you will need a MDPE/copper adaptor kit, i think to a meter they are normally 1/2" but they do a 3/4" kit too i think they are only a few quid.
150m is quite a distace for service size pipe, out of interest what size have they told you to use? i should think a minimum of 50mm?
you can buy protecter line its more expensive but has metal in the pipe to aid in detection.

ensure pipe has a minimum of 750mm of cover and cover with 150mm of sand

screw fix product code 65438

Hi Wally, stokecity advise is spot on. If you can be there with a tenner in your hand and a bit of flannel the guys fitting the meter will do the bits you mention and may well have detection tape with them. If you need to do it make sure you fit an insert in the MDPE.

They should have the fitting to connect the water meter, normally the meter and fittings are supplied by water board. Just confirm with them what size pipe you are installing as you may need to reduce down to 25mm if that what the meter fittings connect to. As reguards water pipework , have you confirmed that there is no ground contaminates? if not then protector pipe would be a good idea as this would stop any contamination of water supply and as mentioned has the added bonus of a zinc barrier that may be detectable.Only problem with this is its alot more expensive than standard mdpe pipe and fittings.

Protect against tree roots. The 2007 foot and mouth disaster in Surrey was due to this. You'd also need to consider the co-efficient linear expansion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting to newly fitted water meter, in a field in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys question about saniflos đź’© I'm working at a property that the entire place was fed off a sani, that's packed up, blocked the line entirely...
Replies
Views
Two connected houses in our 70s condo development, everyone served by one water meter at the road. 833 has 40 lbs of pressure while attached...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock