Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting to newly fitted water meter, in a field in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wally5460

Hi can someone please offer me a bit of advice, my dad own a smallholding with farm buildings on it he is having mains water run to a location next to the main barn. bristol water have dug a trench to run the pipework and are coming to connect to the mains just inside the boundry of the land. I have been asked to run the pipework(approx 150m long in mdpe) and have it ready to connect to the meter when they come to install. My questions are........

1. what size connection will it be on the meter 1/2" or 3/4"?

2. do i need to put metal tags at 1m intervals along the pipe to aid future detection?

3. what type of connector is used to connect to the meter (screwfix page /item no. would be a great help)

4. are there any other special requirements ie dc vales etc.

I have good basic plumbing skills and knowledge but am usually fitting bathrooms and the radiator so a quick bit of guidance would be a great help.

Thanks

you will need a MDPE/copper adaptor kit, i think to a meter they are normally 1/2" but they do a 3/4" kit too i think they are only a few quid.
150m is quite a distace for service size pipe, out of interest what size have they told you to use? i should think a minimum of 50mm?
you can buy protecter line its more expensive but has metal in the pipe to aid in detection.

ensure pipe has a minimum of 750mm of cover and cover with 150mm of sand

screw fix product code 65438

Hi Wally, stokecity advise is spot on. If you can be there with a tenner in your hand and a bit of flannel the guys fitting the meter will do the bits you mention and may well have detection tape with them. If you need to do it make sure you fit an insert in the MDPE.

They should have the fitting to connect the water meter, normally the meter and fittings are supplied by water board. Just confirm with them what size pipe you are installing as you may need to reduce down to 25mm if that what the meter fittings connect to. As reguards water pipework , have you confirmed that there is no ground contaminates? if not then protector pipe would be a good idea as this would stop any contamination of water supply and as mentioned has the added bonus of a zinc barrier that may be detectable.Only problem with this is its alot more expensive than standard mdpe pipe and fittings.

Protect against tree roots. The 2007 foot and mouth disaster in Surrey was due to this. You'd also need to consider the co-efficient linear expansion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting to newly fitted water meter, in a field in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a question, I want my flat to be separately connected to the mains water supply for water coming into my kitchen and bathroom instead of sharing the same pipework as my neighbours. Is this doable and if so is it the water board who will carry this out or a plumber? My flat has shared...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 22mm hot and cold water supply to new bath. The pipes finish with compression valves. I need a 500 mm tap connector hose to connect with half inch thread on the new bath tap. All the connectors at the main plumb merchants are 22mm x 3/4 inch. No one seems able to answer question...
Replies
Views
Hi- In an apartment and the attached picture is what I have. I am looking to install a magnetic descaler on the main water line and want to know if the cylindrical thing is a meter (I don't pay for water as part of rent) and why the ball valve is 1/2 shut on what appears to be the main pipe I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock