Search the forum,

Discuss Is this a main line and water meter in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi- In an apartment and the attached picture is what I have. I am looking to install a magnetic descaler on the main water line and want to know if the cylindrical thing is a meter (I don't pay for water as part of rent) and why the ball valve is 1/2 shut on what appears to be the main pipe

I do have low water pressure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sams water setup.jpg
    Sams water setup.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 21
Yes it is and probably to reduce the flow try opting it fully and see if you notice anything

The pipe through the wall will probably be your main cold service to other outlets eg kitchen sink etc

Pressure and flow are different things. If that is a ball valve, then the fact it is half closed will affect flow rates but not necessarily pressure.
As for a magnetic descaler I was taught that there are two types of hard water, permanent and temporary. Magnetic fields can have a slight impact on temporary hardness but won’t touch Permanent hardness. The east of England and London have permanent hard water so you’ll need to install a catalyst style water softener or conditioner to have any effect. Other areas of the U.K., you might need to speak to your LWA (local water authority) before spending your money.

Reply to Is this a main line and water meter in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock