Search the forum,

Discuss Condensing Boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, I installed an oil condensing boiler during the week, Working fine. I was wondering what are the savings made with this type boiler. Its a 90 / 120 Btu. Or how more efficient are they

You say you installed it, is this a DIY install? Different makes of boilers have different overall efficiencies, however a modern condensing oil boiler will be around 10% more efficient, however that largely relies on the system design as well.
What brand of boiler is it?

You say you installed it, is this a DIY install? Different makes of boilers have different overall efficiencies, however a modern condensing oil boiler will be around 10% more efficient, however that largely relies on the system design as well.
What brand of boiler is it?
Grant Euroflame

Should be able to get that 10% without trying too hard, My SE (non condensing) firebird has a flue gas temperature of ~ 330C, if I installed a condensing which I prefer to call High Efficiency (HE) boiler as they rarely condense but because of the extra heat exchanger then I would expect a flue gas temp of ~ 100C and as each 100C lower temperature results I think in around 4.5% saving then 10.5% in this case. You can obviously get lower but I think Grant specify 40/45C minimum boiler return temperature so maybe just able to achieve a little condensing benefit as the flue gases will probably be 10C higher at around 55/60C.

SJB or exedon2 might post flue gas temperatures on SE & HW oil fired boilers that they serviced.

Attachments

• Condensing Temperatures.png
    Condensing Temperatures.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 10
Should be able to get that 10% without trying too hard, My SE (non condensing) firebird has a flue gas temperature of ~ 330C, if I installed a condensing which I prefer to call High Efficiency (HE) boiler as they rarely condense but because of the extra heat exchanger then I would expect a flue gas temp of ~ 100C and as each 100C lower temperature results I think in around 4.5% saving then 10.5% in this case. You can obviously get lower but I think Grant specify 40/45C minimum boiler return temperature so maybe just able to achieve a little condensing benefit as the flue gases will probably be 10C higher at around 55/60C.

SJB or exedon2 might post flue gas temperatures on SE & HW oil fired boilers that they serviced.

I can't post pictures because I've been off work for some time but your above post pretty much sums it up. Also like exedon2 mentions oil condensing boilers need a minimum return temperature so the water flowing through the primary heat exchanger is too low a temperature and cause corrosion. This largely depends on the efficiency of the secondary hex and how much latent heat it's able to withdraw.

Are all condensing boilers, both gas&oil, efficiencies expressed; based on the net calorific value of the fuel and if so, why?.

Flue gas analysers are calibrated for certain fuels and they know the characteristics of each fuel. However combustion efficiency is calculated by measuring the CO² and flue gas temperature, from this it works out the gross and net efficiency.

Not sure where I picked this up but it does show a very low flue gas temperature, presume the boiler was allowed sufficient warm up time.

Attachments

• Warmflow Condensing Emissions.jpg
    Warmflow Condensing Emissions.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 11
Not sure where I picked this up but it does show a very low flue gas temperature, presume the boiler was allowed sufficient warm up time.

Dated 16 of June last year, so a reasonably recent service.
Figures look good.
When commissioning a burner it should be set up from cold but usually the burner will have been running 10-15 minutes.
Also when commissioning a new install the burner is loosely set up and then the technician returns two or three days later to set up properly once the boiler has had a chance to burn off any impurities from construction, otherwise your readings would be all over the place.
The flue gas temperature of 56°c suggests the boiler is condensing nicely.
The CO² % is an indication of the level of combustion, so I higher CO² % and lower flue gas temperature = greater efficiency, however you always have to allow a certain amount of excess air for complete combustion. The CO ppm is acceptable though.

Reply to Condensing Boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock