Discuss Condensing boiler trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see that a condensate soakaway with the lime chippings, 1 metre away from the house, is going to cause any sort of problem whatsoever. All a soakaway does is hold the water until it can seep into the soil, and it won't be a huge quantity of water anyway. The lime chippings neutralise the acid, as the acid slowly dissolves the chippings. Unless you have a bog where this water goes, I don't see a problem.
I would tend to disagree with your logic about the ditch though. On the grounds that IF the condensate is a pollutant, it must be going somewhere, even if that is only into the ground - a bit like if I were to pour old engine oil into a soakaway in my own garden it would pollute the water table even if, on the surface, it never were to leave my land - I hope you see where I am coming from.
What we need now, of course, is to know what the acidic condensate does, and why it is considered necessary to drain it through limestone chippings to neutralise the acid before it drains into the water table. Perhaps the RGIs can throw some light on the subject?

I can see your logic though I think comparing condensate with engine oil is not totally valid. No amount of water mixed with the engine oil would make it suitable for disposing of in the ground whereas the condensate is acidic, like you not sure in what strength, but will eventually dilute itself by the very nature that the drain collects excess water off the field.

The early Worcesters were the same with an external trap. Seen a few government installs with the trap not fitted and the company that fitted the boiler no longer trading.
The warmflow has a semi loose trap so you can move it around in the casing to suit on site requirements.

I can see your logic though I think comparing condensate with engine oil is not totally valid. No amount of water mixed with the engine oil would make it suitable for disposing of in the ground whereas the condensate is acidic, like you not sure in what strength, but will eventually dilute itself by the very nature that the drain collects excess water off the field.
My point was that I don't understand why the acid is a problem; perhaps it leaches aluminium from the soil or something if not neutralised first and this then is a pollutant, or perhaps it's not a problem at all, and will just prevent the lawn growing properly where it is concentrated and, if so, as you say, not a fair comparison with engine oil. I know gas installers are supposed to put it into a foul or combined sewer, or to a limestone-filled soakaway. What I don't know is the WHY :(

Just done some reading up re condensate. Apparently from an oil boiler it will be a mixture of nitric and sulpuric acid, gas boiler nitric only. Supposedly it has a pH of 2 to 4 which puts it in the category of matching vinegar, not sure I would want it on my chips though! It seems the big worry is the ability of it to dissolve mortar and metals. Some countries have regs that say it has to be neutralised before one is allowed to dispose of it into a public drain. Anyway will stick with my setup, plus fitting a trap, as there seems to be no adverse effects of it evident yet.

Adding a soak away trap, like I earlier mentioned, would be a good solution to dealing with the condensate

Have not dug intot he soakaway so no idea what is in there I will take a look even buying the soakaway trap is not an expensive exercise.

Have not dug intot he soakaway so no idea what is in there I will take a look even buying the soakaway trap is not an expensive exercise.

Yes, it is a cheap and simple solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensing boiler trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back