Discuss Cold towel rail any thoughts in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

So here goes.

My bathroom towel rail is cold. All other rads in the house are hot and on both upstairs and downstairs. The feed pipe going into the towel rail is nice and hot but the rail itself is cold. It's has a teeny weeny bit of temp change for about an inch along the bottom rung but I suspect that is a bit residual from the pipe and valve. Anything I can do, or do I need to get some in to have a look? I hope that makes sense.

needs bleeding towel rads are notorious for collecting air, fi you have a sealed system then you will need to top up the pressure as well when you bleed the radiator

It's been bled and that OK.
[automerge]1580318578[/automerge]
These are the two valves

Attachments

• IMG_20200129_171737.jpg
    IMG_20200129_171737.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200129_171749.jpg
    IMG_20200129_171749.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
1. Is the rail on the central heating circuit or the hot water circuit. Not applicable if you have a combi boiler. Not terribly likely if flow pipe is hot.
2. Are you bleeding with the system off and preferably cold?
3. If it's a column type, they sometimes have bleed points for each side.
4. Could be a faulty valve on the side where the pipe gets hot but the radiator doesn't. If you can, remove the decorative cap from the valve and make sure it is open using a spanner or grips. If it is, do the same for the other side. In both cases do it by closing the valve completely counting the number of 1/8th turns. Then open the valves. When you have finished close them again and re-open to the recorded number of 1/8th turns. This preserves the balancing of the system.

it means broken, it might spin like it’s opening but it’s broken inside and actually not opening
OK, the one without the cap does come in and out when turned using flat pliers. The other one with the cap however does turn but I have no idea what's happening under the cap as I am unable to get it off.

Has the towel rail ever worked since you've been in the house?
To remove the plastic cap, pull on it hard, the valve under it will look exactly the same as the other valve.

Is the same one as in your other post, looks like the same one to me.

Mods please link the two to save confusion.

Reply to Cold towel rail any thoughts in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock