Search the forum,

Discuss Cold feed hose blew off the back of washing machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

I fitted a washing machine for a customer yesterday, ran a cycle when I was there she used it 3 times but then randomly turned the cold tap on then the hose blew clean off the 3/4 thread at the rear of the SECOND HAND washing machine. I shot straight over there and the hose I supplied was not damaged in any way at all the thread on the nut was perfect, did a pressure test 4.5 bar and the hose and machine are 10bar max. I am convinced that this is because the thread on the machine is at fault. there is no other explanation

Sounds like it,

Obviously it needs to be done up properly but that would likely have shown on the first go.

Can you see any damage to the male thread?

Felt like there was a slight step on the last couple male threads but steped up not in. I just took the hose and pressure tested it to 15bar!!!!! The machine is second hand. No way my fault if it was cross threaded it would leaked straight away then the thread would be damaged!!!!! Not to then take 15bar

Now her stopcock is leaking and somehow it is my fault even tho I isolated at the meter

One of those that's going to blame every wet failing on you for the next 10 years mate either set her straight or move on.

People wonder why they are charged ÂŁ70.00 to plumb in a washing machine. In cases like this ÂŁ70.00 isn't enough

Now her stopcock is leaking and somehow it is my fault even tho I isolated at the meter

Its probably only the packing gland , stopcocks are bad for the gland slackening when switching water on and off, quick tighten n bobs your uncle, you said earlier 15 bar , where you getting 15 bar from ?

I stuck it on a pressure test pump mate, to prove a point the hose is good.

One of those that's going to blame every wet failing on you for the next 10 years mate either set her straight or move on.

"wet failing?" i've got a feeling i'm now stuck with that somehow unpleasant phrase forever.

Its probably only the packing gland , stopcocks are bad for the gland slackening when switching water on and off, quick tighten n bobs your uncle, you said earlier 15 bar , where you getting 15 bar from ?

he said he turned it off at the meter. (presume external.) glands go all the time but surely not if not touched first? although after a flooding i can imagine customers start checking everything and finding all the leaks they didn't know they already had

Very unusual. Never had one do that in 8 years of fixing them day in and out.
The threads/hoses are fit and forget so indont know where any wear would come from.

Like I said to her very nicely with the deepest respect it's A SECOND HAND MACHINE y would someone get rid of a machine if there is nothing wrong with it, I felt a step on the thread she funny couldn't feel. There was nothing wrong with the hose and show her the pictures of the pressure test.
If it was
A. cross threaded the threads would have been damaged and it would have leaked and not run 3 cycles
B. Not tight enough it would leak from the off
C. To tight is would have damage on the thread or split the nut
D. Pressure to high, I tested that and it's less than 5 bar

So that leaves

E. Faulty thread on appliance
F. Sabotage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold feed hose blew off the back of washing machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is doing my head in, so I am turning to the experts here for any wisdom... In the last couple of days I have very low cold water pressure in my downstairs utility room and downstairs bathroom (they back on to each other). The main cold feed (kitchen tap) is normal pressure. And all the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
The water in to my washing machine is via a tee off the cold water mains via 1/2" PEX pipe (2metres) and then the washing machine hose connected. The water pressure into the machine seems very low. The water pressure on the kitchen tap is really strong. Why would this be, I would expect it...
Replies
Views
B
I recently fitted a new washing machine along with a new cold water feed hose. Since installation whenever the toilet upstairs finishes filling, the shower is turned off, the cold water tank in the loft stops filling or the kitchen cold tap is turned off, there is a clunking noise coming from...
Replies
Views
Morning all, Wonder if someone can help me at all. Got a high pressure system with a PRV fitted in the loft just before the tank feed, also providing the balanced cold. Now when the washing machine is filling (typically early hours in the morning on a timer) or when the dishwasher is filling...
Replies
Views
I wanted to start a new more dedicated thread as I am on about 3 just now in one way or another trying to get up to speed with my problem. The issue is that my Gledhill Stainless Lite indirect unvented cylinder makes loud noises when heating - this is a bit random, but that noise is loud enough...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock