Search the forum,

Discuss City and Guilds Leve 2 (6129) Plumbing Studies - Past Papers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moleman

Hi,

Does anyone know the whereabouts of past papers for the City and Guilds L2 Plumbing Course?

I'm after them for revision, the electricians of the world seem to be well organised I can find pleanty of forums and links to past Sparks tests, but not for plumbing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

i got it on a disc, pm me your address and i'll post it out to you

KJ

to use smartscreen your college has to be registered,and to be honest mate why are you doing the 6129 when it is to be changed,to diploma,if thechange happens during your course work then it will have been for nothing college dont even no whay course are to funded so i am a little suprised people are still doing this pointless course

to use smartscreen your college has to be registered,and to be honest mate why are you doing the 6129 when it is to be changed,to diploma,if thechange happens during your course work then it will have been for nothing college dont even no whay course are to funded so i am a little suprised people are still doing this pointless course

to be fair I think "all for nothing" is a little melodramatic, it's like when changes occurred from GCE to GCSE, or GNVQ to NVQ, or when Btec was first introduced, there are more qualifications knocking around these days than ever, all that's really important is what you learn while you're there. 12 months ago I was a webdesiger with no experience in plumbing, 12 months on I'm Level 1 trained, I've installed 3 bathrooms (got another one this weekend), fitted kitchens, sinks, radiators, all of which is only possible through what I've learnt on my City and Guilds Course - I wouldn't describe it as pointless, did what it said on the tin.

good luck,the 6129 was designed to put bums on college seats ,i'm sorry but to learn any trade you have go the apprenticeships road,there are thousands with the 6129 who call them self plumbers what happens when the friend and relative work runs out,the big wide world,i would say the 6129 has a lot to answer for and has done nothing but damage to the plumbing industry,dont get me wrong ther will be the odd succsess story,but try and get a job with a plumbing company or the one man band brigade and you'll get llaughed at sorry but true

theyre not worthless - just theyre only part of the full qualification - city and guilds tech certs will not get you a job an nvq will. if your going self employed picking and choosing easier jobs then it will help. Each to there own - you do what you can do - and although i feel the way into this trade is through an apprenticeship - i cant fault the guys who do what they have to do - they all work as hard if not harder than the lads on apprenticeships.

Last edited by a moderator:
doing the 6129 now is totally pointless as there is no progression,i'm surprised it's still being run in college as there is no funding for it,no funding no qualification,that was the point i was trying to make,and i agree you do what you can but have you never come across someone with the 6129 who things he can take over the plumbing world,i have on numerous occasions,they are damaging to industry cant you see that

well said q-plumb.

us lads on these non-apprentice courses have mainly gone into the trade with our eyes open. we have made a conscious decision and are dedicated to achieving our goals. also as we are generally a lot older than 'apprentices' we have significant life skills...we know how to get out of bed in the morning, we know what hard work actually means where many apprentices fall into the trade because they don't know what else to do and their hearts really arn't in it. they don't want to work hard and many can't even make a decent brew

rant over

KJ:p

doing the 6129 now is totally pointless as there is no progression,i'm surprised it's still being run in college as there is no funding for it,no funding no qualification,that was the point i was trying to make,and i agree you do what you can but have you never come across someone with the 6129 who things he can take over the plumbing world,i have on numerous occasions,they are damaging to industry cant you see that

dont hate the player hate the game i think the saying goes - i too dont agree with these lads coming in after there tech cert thinking they can start up self employed underprice and generally make a mess of things - but i have come to the conclusion that its not the lads fault, if your put in a position then you find a way out - the colleges are offering this way out - now its been stopped - but the courses are still being sold so theyre still heading that way. glad its getting sorted out and the diploma is now coming in but i dont blame the lads as there is way to much information mis sold.

xl]
could not agree more total respect to anyone you sets there alarm for the early hours and have neighbours that lie in bed till mid-day living off the state,i just have a problem with the 6129 for obvious reasons,our industry needs regulated and sorted out,i am all for education and qualifcations,but the work place is the only place,under good instruction to learn a trade

its a catch 22 really - if it wasnt for the thousands of plumbers who are underqualified - there would be thousands of more apprenticeships... so it will take a while to even itself out imo. Im glad that the colleges are starting to sort this out - but i still hope the dedicated lads on here who are trying to get there qualifications get where they want to be.

apprenticeships are over subscribed this year there is more people on apprenticeships than ever before,i dont know what it is about plumbing but it seems to attract tom dick and harry,it's not easy,it's not the best paid and you have to realise that you have a life long commitment to learning like all progressive trades time changes and we have to move along with them

Past Papers can be found at:
Smart Screen > Login > Certificate in Basic Plumbing Studies VRQ L2 - Then select 'Sample questions (Flash)' under each module.

please ask your tutor what the future is regarding the course you are doing ,dont let him fob you off with this will count for the new one coming in ,nothing is transferable,please ask.

the 6129 is still running, you have to apply for your nvq before the 31st of december and then you've got 2 years to complete it, otherwise you will have to start the new diploma from scratch the following year.

PLEASE GOD STOP!

This is turning into the worst kind of tabloid crap I've ever read!!!

I didn't bother replying to these posts because I don't want to get embroiled into a pointless discussion mistaking opinion for fact, unless anyone on this forum is Michael Gove, I don't think anyone is qualified to start spreading rumours about the value of the 6129.

I'm not bothered about letters after my name, it sounds like bragging but I've got qualifications coming out of my proverbial including 2 University degrees - WHAT ACRONYM FOLLOWS THE QUALIFICATION DOSN'T MATTER, it’s what you learn, not what it’s called.

No college would in ANY WAY would stop a course mid-way, the suggestion is mental. My qualification for saying this - I worked in a University for 7 years, My wife is a College Administrator, my Mother-in-law is a college lecturer. I've been in, around, beside and through so many education systems in this country, I know a huge amount about all stages from recruitment, admissions, support, graduation and work based learning.

The reason I started the 6129 is because I wanted training, practice and advice about how to be a plumber. On top of that you need to be motivated yourself, you need to volunteer to do work outside of the workshop, you've got to ask questions, you've got to be objective and look at your work without pride and be able to be critical. If you can do all these things you'll be a fine plumber.

I mention all this not for the people who have posted highly dubious opinions on this post, but for the people reading this who may be on this course, considering this course or in any way contemplating a class room based trade education. PLEASE consult someone who knows that facts, either in a college or careers adviser service, not someone on the internet.

I’m unsubscribing from this forum now because it’s giving me a headache.

good post,but see the thread on TCs going and youll see it is being regulated and sorted out, we cannot go back and change whats been done though, 48,000 trained in TC only!!!!!!!!!!! they are here to stay

PLEASE GOD STOP!

This is turning into the worst kind of tabloid crap I've ever read!!!

I didn't bother replying to these posts because I don't want to get embroiled into a pointless discussion mistaking opinion for fact, unless anyone on this forum is Michael Gove, I don't think anyone is qualified to start spreading rumours about the value of the 6129.

I'm not bothered about letters after my name, it sounds like bragging but I've got qualifications coming out of my proverbial including 2 University degrees - WHAT ACRONYM FOLLOWS THE QUALIFICATION DOSN'T MATTER, it’s what you learn, not what it’s called.

No college would in ANY WAY would stop a course mid-way, the suggestion is mental. My qualification for saying this - I worked in a University for 7 years, My wife is a College Administrator, my Mother-in-law is a college lecturer. I've been in, around, beside and through so many education systems in this country, I know a huge amount about all stages from recruitment, admissions, support, graduation and work based learning.

The reason I started the 6129 is because I wanted training, practice and advice about how to be a plumber. On top of that you need to be motivated yourself, you need to volunteer to do work outside of the workshop, you've got to ask questions, you've got to be objective and look at your work without pride and be able to be critical. If you can do all these things you'll be a fine plumber.

I mention all this not for the people who have posted highly dubious opinions on this post, but for the people reading this who may be on this course, considering this course or in any way contemplating a class room based trade education. PLEASE consult someone who knows that facts, either in a college or careers adviser service, not someone on the internet.

I’m unsubscribing from this forum now because it’s giving me a headache.

i have posted many times about the 6129, people who are plumbers, been trained, are trainers can ALL have an opinion on the 6129 and 6089 (NVQ) if they wish and it can be valued as they are the ones who know the true value yet you believe a minister knows better!!!!!!!!!! Although i do agree with much he says

I know for a fact that courses have been cancelled half way through, it happened in my home town and was on the front of the local paper, didnt stop em doing it, if it aint makingmoney it can be culled. all enrolment forms say in the small print that courses can be stopped at any time.

it isnt that the 6129 isnt a good course, it is but it is only the Tec Cert and therefore limited. The full qualification as recognised by summitskills is the 6089 or NVQ which is a C&G qualification for those getting confused.
The problem in the trade stems from as summitskills will tell you to many being trained on 6129 alone. it was designed to offer a route into industry for adults and those without jobs. the idea was that they would all or most of them rreturn to complete the nvq later, around 80% do the 6129 only. that is were the issues have come from. if the odd well motivated hard working individual sat the 6129, got a van and then went self employed making a good go of it nobody would take issue. the problem is the amount who do this or aspire to do this for the wrong reasons (makin money/over charging) those who take on jobs to dificult for the inexpeirienced, those who undercut lowering the living trade qualified can make etc etc.

I believe in the 6129 just not the amount trained on that only, if they had brough out a cap when it was first introduced in 2004 then this problem wouldnt have arrison. we now find ourselfs merging the quals and asking people ot be employed as before. this will be ok for school leavers with an apprenticeship but will shut the door on many others. adults will sufefr the most but they have the choice of getting an apprenticeship and doing the course sat with school leavers. the only other alternative is the new 2000 pre apprenticeship series at level 1 giving an insight into plumbing, electrical, H&V and refridegeration. It sounds good to me but how many would take it?

I will not be unsubscribing from this forum and therefore am available to respond to any replies as opposed to having my say and running away

i have an in law who works in a college, therefore everything i write about the 6129 is right

do you have any links or stats to back this up? i think youll find that once again there are more people enroleld on full time 6129 courses than apprenticeship 6089 courses

reading this has got my head mashed.....

here is why....

i am 39 self employed builder but want to just eventually be a qualified plumber.....
reason for this is i know alot in reality but on paper i know nothing.

i have enrolled in a college course thinking i was doing things the right way instead of doing a quickie 6 week course
and giving someone 5 grand.

the course im on is the rvq 6129 plumbing apprenticeship.
now i understand that this will not make me a plumber but i am of the understanding that this will teach me all the basics

if i am right in thinking when this course ends in 1 year i will then do the nvq level 2 then i will take the nvq level 3
i will then be classed as a qualified plumber..

am i correct please advise.

your doing the vrq 6129 tec cert, not the full qual but 75% of the nvq mate. its a step in the right direction. youl then have to get work as a plumber to get the nvq. then after decemeber you cannot enrol on either course because they cease to exist. youl have to get a job as a plumber and do the diploma

Do you have the actual past exams or the ones on smartscreen?

If you have the past exams could you possibly email them to me? I'll give you a drink for sending them...cheers ;)

i got it on a disc, pm me your address and i'll post it out to you

KJ

firstly college do stop courses mid term,fact,secondly with two degrees and wanting to become a plumber going down the 6129 route explains a lot about you,reading between the lines you really need to start listening to your wife and not turn everything into your way of thinking.colleges,sadly are 100% a business,the 6129 i believe was manipulated by college administrators etc to put bums on seats and increase there profit margins,this of course was based on pass rates and i have seen some strange goings on to increase a colleges pass rate,making a mockery,if not laughable enough of the 6129.

it wasnt colleges who manipulated the 6129, how can they? they can only run courses that the sector skills councils design, its not the fault of a college is it desrob? if a college runs a course that people want how is it wrong?

you may have a point with private training providers who sell the 6129 as a full qual when it isnt.
because too many have done the 6129 without going on to get the 6089 they are now dropping the 6129 and altering the 6089 to include all aspect, meaning you have to be employed and therefore atempting to stop private training providers

colleges are not interested in students progression,they saturated the plumbing department with any one they could,eg.young female wanting to do hair and beauty was told her chosen course was full,but there;s the 6129 in plumbing give that a try,young students pleasing parents,putting in time,moving from course to course,the college powers that be did manipulate the 6129 and in the process the ones that did want to learn and progress did suffer,ask any college any where,the 6129 was a blessing that kept other dept running ok fuzzy.and private training providers will move on and offer some thing different at least ther honest about what they do,if your foolish enough to go along with that,then you get what you deserve.

sorry desrob but i disagree, collegese havnt created the issues with the 6129. they cannot force somebody to do it can they, if they talk someone from hair and beauty onto the programme and they dont like it they would have left. You have to turn up and enrol for a course and then complete it to suceed. Nobody could force somebody to do it, it is the candidates choice and therefore you cannot in any way blame the colleges for running what people want. Blaming the colleges is simply a cop out looking for excuses.

The issues around the 6129 are a little more complex. Is it the press, is it private trainers mis selling the course, is it the fact it was created in the first place since we never had a tec cert before now only craft cert, adavnced craft cert and then nvq2 then 3.

hi fuzzy
just out of interest how different was the craft cert to the tec cert?

KJ

desrob, i have and i am 100% right
kay jay, the old craft certs were completly different. the trade has moved on and so has education. the old quals required a one off practical and theory exam at the end of it, buit different from our currect system

i know that there has been lots of discussion regarding the tec cert, but in your opinion does it represent an improvement from the craft cert? or only if the nvq is also attained?

and do you think the new 6189 dip will be an improvement?

also when you say the trade has moved on and so has the education, do you feel that the education has changed to suit the trade changes or does it reflect the perceptions about alleged trade skills shortages and the candidates that c and g have tried to attract.

i'd be interested to hear your opinions about this...

KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to City and Guilds Leve 2 (6129) Plumbing Studies - Past Papers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock