Discuss Changing the entire mid position actuator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bythesea

Hi what is the best way to do this ? Turn off the mains and drain down the system ? Then undo all the 3 nuts and disconnect the wiring ? Then connect new one up and wiring ? Is the wiring bit hard ? I know the actuator part can be removed on its own ... Then fill back up , test for leaks and bleed the rads and vent nipple ? Please let me know any advice as first time attempting this . I need to replace the whole thing as no matter how hard I tighten the but it still weeps ....

Weeps from where ? as for the wiring, personally I avoid going into the wiring centre, turn off power, cut cable close to old actuator, get a new junction box or 5 wire connector and reconnect colour for colour if you go into wiring centre you never know what your going to disturb.

e actuator itself is fine do you think I can disconnect it and reconnect to new body without affecting or having to touch the wiring ? It's the body I need to replace as one of the nuts is as tight as will go that connects to the valve body and still weeps a tIny bit so that's why I want to change the body .
To do that I will turn off the cold main and drain down the system then replace . Then I will fill up check and bleed right ?

To u n clip the existing actuator I do t need to touch the electrics do I ? And I was thinking because it's the same cake it might just clip back on to new one . Do I need to turn anything else off like pump to do this job ?

If its one of the connecting nuts which is weeping slightly, then it is quite likely that the problem lies with the pipe work and / or the olive within the connection which is leaking. A new valve is not guaranteed to stop the leak.

Try and stop the flow of water to the valve. Drain down is the most straight forward but time consuming. However, if there is space and you have access to freezing equipment, you could try shutting both pump valves (unless they are quarter turn valves, in which case they will probably leak if you touch them) and freezing the other two pipes.

Once there is no water flow, undo the leaking joint. If the olive is sunk into the pipe you will need to replace that bit of pipe (and can probably only do that after a drain down) and use a new olive to re-make the joint. If the olive is not sunk into the pipe, wrap five or six turns of PTFE tape around the olive and re-make the joint.

Even if you replace the valve, you should make sure that the olives to each connection are in good order, replacing them and the pipe-work as necessary.

clean it up, wrap PTFE tape around the olive and re-make the joint.

bung the tank- undo nut until it stops dripping-dry it up-smear with 'trueblue'-tighten nut back up=sorted!

The more I think about it the more I'm reluctant to change it . I need to stop the water to it then to open up the nut . So I drain down or how do I Bung it ? I've got to make sure the programmer is all off hough yea ?

Isolate the system via the fuse spur/s
Drain the system via drain point,
Undo the 3 nuts and remove the valve,
Clean the pipe work and olives and inside on the valve with wire wool/emery cloth
Smear lsx on the pipe ends and wrap some ptfe tape round the olives
Then put the valve back in place and tighten up but don't go mad, refill and test

Will the old actuator fit back on ? Drayton looks exactly the same just a few years later ...that or I just open it up and put some jet blue round ...

stick a spud/carrot or proper bungs into the vent pipe at header tank and a bung into the feed pipe inside tank tightly.
undo the nut catch drips for 5 mins until it stops.
back off nut, paste it or 5 wraps of ptfe tape over the olive then re-tighten (you could pull pipe out slightly to paste inside socket as well).
back home for tea before you even drain the rads or swapped the actuator and ÂŁ70+ cheaper!.

if you live in nottingham then its ilegal and must call a plumber!

The feed pipe inside tank tightly which ones this and won't it flood when I open it ?
Can you buy these bungs at plum centre ?

Going back to your 1st post, its obvious you don't know what you are messing with, just call someone out B4 you cause more damage , will be a quick fix for a plumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing the entire mid position actuator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My 3 way actuator valve has gone on my central heating. I think it's a combination of the valve motor burning out due to a stiff valve on the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
Have one radiator still not working despite whole lot new now and was the only one tepid before all changed and don't really know if drain valve...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock