Discuss Central heating pipes in cavity wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wheeto

Hello,

Are there any regs relating to installing new heating pipes in a cavity wall? It's an external wall and was retro-insulated about five years ago.

I can see the obvious disadvantages to this, just wondered if there were any concrete rules?

Thanks,

Shouldn't have anything in a cavity

Chase the wall out or trunking. Much safer if you get a leak and easier to repair

Yes thats sound advice and one to be heeded. Imagine if you sealed your pipework in place, decorated nicely and then 12 moths down the line you started to observe a saturated carpet ! One big whooping headache

Shouldn't have anything in a cavity

Chase the wall out or trunking. Much safer if you get a leak and easier to repair

Thanks. Someone's seen his spark fish cable through the cavity and wonders why he can't do the same with his heating pipe. And I'm struggling to come up with a really good reason why he shouldn't with, say, plastic-coated copper.

Surface-mounted pipes aren't really an option because the rad needs to be in the middle of an enormous wall, and chases would need to go all the way up the wall to drop to the radiator so would be really messy.

Leaks in the cavity don't really worry me - there wouldn't be any joints, and it's a sealed system so would drop (say) 5L if the worst came to the worst. Still don't like the idea! Any solid objections though?

Closest I can get is energy efficiency, as it would be impossible to fish lagged tubes through the cavity. Having said that the space is insulated so you could argue that being surrounded by cavity wall insulation counts as insulating the pipe. Argh.

Personally I wouldnt lay pipes in a cavity but thats me. My mind would be on having knock through the wall to trace and repair said possible leak. I would always use slimline capping or recess them into wall, yes its a messy affair but you KNOW exactly where they are and gaining access to them would be alot easier.

you will have an increased risk of dampness, corrosion etc.... anything that touches the outside wall and then the inside wall can carry mositure into the internal wall, this is one reason cables are not supposed to be installed in cavitys. you will also have the chance of the pipework freezing and splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pipes in cavity wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock