Search the forum,

Discuss Can I remove a radiator off the wall if the thermastat is broken in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a plasterer coming this week and the radiators need to come off! A DIY friend came round and removed all but 1 radiator as he wasnt sure what to do as the thermastat on one end has been broken??? HELP if we turn the valve off at the other end will this do the job so we can just remove it OR do we have to replace the thermastat on order to then turn it off both ends? Blind leading the blind and running out of money! First pic we think had a thermastat on!

Attachments

• 20191117_191705.jpg
    20191117_191705.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 19
  • 20191117_191711.jpg
    20191117_191711.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 20
HELP if we turn the valve off at the other end will this do the job so we can just remove it
No.
do we have to replace the thermastat on order to then turn it off both ends?
If it's what it looks like, i.e. a broken TRV, so you can't shut it reliably then yes.

You'll need to drain down the system to be able to remove the radiator and replace the broken valve. There are techniques (freezing, bunging, etc.) that can be used to avoid draining down but they take practice to get right and are best left to professionals.

If you drain the system, make sure you put the correct amount of inhibitor back when you refill it.

Is it the old type with a screw in it to tighten it on to the valve? Might need a nip up if it is.
[automerge]1574067252[/automerge]
Never mind. Just blew the pic up and it looks snapped. Sorry

Last edited:
Do you have other radiators not coming off the wall with the same head?

If so borrow the head off of one of them and isolate the radiator that way.

No.

If it's what it looks like, i.e. a broken TRV, so you can't shut it reliably then yes.

You'll need to drain down the system to be able to remove the radiator and replace the broken valve. There are techniques (freezing, bunging, etc.) that can be used to avoid draining down but they take practice to get right and are best left to professionals.

If you drain the system, make sure you put the correct amount of inhibitor back when you refill it.
Your trvs came with a manual over ride just for this purpose you should use this. NEVER rely on
just closing the trv as the lowest they go is frost...so when the room gets cold the valve will open
up and flood the room. seen this loads of times. centralheatking

Your trvs came with a manual over ride just for this purpose you should use this. NEVER rely on
just closing the trv as the lowest they go is frost...so when the room gets cold the valve will open
up and flood the room. seen this loads of times. centralheatking

Good advice, however for a good few years now TRVs close right down passed the frost setting all the way to 0 (fully closed, no frost opening possible) but it's still necessary to add appropriate caps to the valves in case of let-by failure.

Not saying you are wrong as there are loads of the older style you mention so better safe than sorry, just thought I'd add that for clarity.

Those manual override caps AKA "Decorator's caps."

Reply to Can I remove a radiator off the wall if the thermastat is broken in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock