Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Can I do any checks on a defective boiler if I am not gas safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ross D

I have a leak on my boiler and want to know how far I can take the investigation before I cross the Gas Safe line. I am not a have a go DIYer I want to know when I legally can go no further, I am a mechanical engineer so defect diagnosis etc I am happy with but don't want to break the rules.

I have pressurised the system and isolated the heating system valves, the pressure dropped on the boiler overnight proving the defect was on the boiler not the system.

The PRV is fine, it has not lifted as the discharge pipe is completely dry, with the odd cobweb indicating it has never lifted.

Can I take the cover off the boiler to check the accumulator, or does this become gas work?

I suspect the heat exchanger has failed as the flue started dripping when the boiler first runs at the same time as it started to lose pressure.

I know I will need a Gas Safe plumber to do the repair and recommission the boiler on completion.

It is a Greenstar R35 HE plus combi boiler if this makes any difference.

Many thanks for any advice.

Ross

You cannot remove the cover at all on that unless you are gsr. It forms a seal and as such is essential for the combustion process.

From the wording of your question, the fact you've isolated the heating system etc. I assume you have not found the leak but know you are experiencing a loss of pressure. Such faults are notoriously difficult to identify and unless you have a service kit that includes new washers and o rings, probing about can cause additional leaks masking the original problem. Bite the bullet, call a service engineer, tell him in advance you have this problem and take the opportunity to have a full service at the same visit. I believe WB still do a fixed price call out and on a boiler exceeding 10 years of age, this together with annual insurance may prove your best course of action.

You need a gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a pm to either Gas man or Redsaw who will then check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I do any checks on a defective boiler if I am not gas safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock