Search the forum,

Discuss Calling all Retired Plumbers and heating instalation people. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Walsh

I'm looking for retired plumbers willing to do some casual work. Most of the work will be property maintanence jobs but occasionally there will be bigger stuff such as installing central heating (not the gas part unless you are gas safe).

Most of the work will be based in South east london. If you're interested please contact me on 07535710069 (Rob). There is some work for the coming week.

i will never retire, i will just charge a lot for a little and do as i please.

Casual work...means cash work where I come from. Nothing that casual about any plumbing work is there!?

I'm looking for retired plumbers willing to do some casual work. Most of the work will be property maintanence jobs but occasionally there will be bigger stuff such as installing central heating (not the gas part unless you are gas safe).

Most of the work will be based in South east london. If you're interested please contact me on 07535710069 (Rob). There is some work for the coming week.

why not just pay a working plumber the going rate, then you might get a decent job done. Have all the eastern europeans gone home in e london then.

hope the taxman does,nt trace you throu your phone number,to ask akward questions

why not just pay a working plumber the going rate, then you might get a decent job done. Have all the eastern europeans gone home in e london then.
they have all gone home, apparently. its too cold over here.

Rob. I don't think your message went down to well. Can you explain with more detail. Is this for a charity, or is this for skint pensioners wanting to urn a few quid.

Does seem to have caused a stir but think it is something we are going to get used to as pensions go down and the younger generation try to suck their parents dry

People are living longer and are going to have subsidise their income

There is a lot of lost experience lost when a tradesman hangs up his tools and I find it hard to understand why this is not harnessed more in the educational and commercial systems

People pay thousands for private training,dare say they could get a personal tutor/trainer for less and learn a lot more

But getting back to the post

I work in the London area and have built up quite a good net work but it can be a difficult place to find trustworthy,honest tradespeople to carry out bigger jobs, never mind the smaller ones in busy periods like we are having now,with the bad weather

When boilers or heating goes down,as you know,in this weather,you have to respond straight away,you can not say see you in a couple of days,like other trades,so everything else gets pushed back,the bread and butter jobs for customers,that are so important to keep,for work during normal times,if you let slip,customers go else were

These jobs are ideal for a part time retired person,they can nip round,repair taps,free off thermostatic valves,even check out problems and report back for you to order parts and go back your self

They can work when they want,get a little extra income,at at reasonable rate and many semi retired people do this and declare as they go along

My friend is a builder and has a retired joiner go in the office a few mornings a week and check materials ,ring round customers ect as he has a back ground and knowledge to discuss and sort things out,he pays him a fair rate

You may only need them when you are busy,good for them as they do not want to be having to go to work everyday

When you are doing maintenance work or jobbing like op,you have to leave the person to get on with it with out supervision,maybe he does not want to get to big or a one man band,it is very hard to keep on top of everything this time of year,you can give a retired person four of five little jobs with tel no and say potter about over next few days or week,in your own time,when it suit you,you know it will be done and he has not disappeared on his own boiler change or bathroom swop

In London ,you can get very busy,very quickly and you can earn good money,there is no loyalty,anyone who is any good ,is usually very busy this time of year,suddenly tradesman you used to use and sub contracted normally are doing there own stuff and charge a lot more to carry out simple works,this extra charge you can not pass on the your regular customers/clients,you need good tradesmen to do your extra short term work load.

You sit there at night,thinking ,what are you going to do,how can I try to keep everyone happy,how can you make sure you do not loose customers it has taken you so long to gain,yet can be lost within a few week mad cold patch,were you have to be 5 places at once

And I think coming up with the idea of a newly retired,experienced,trust worthy person maybe helping out here and there is not a bad idea

And it maybe unfair to jump to other conclusions

I have been there,still am sometimes,I have started at 8.am and finished at 2/3am in the morning,sort term at peak times of the year,many a time I have sat in the van,thinking wish I had a unattached,free available person to do bits and pieces during such periods
As long as it suits both parties,all,s well and good

Like it or not retired people are going to start working 'x' no. of hours a week,if fact I can see companies starting out based around this fact,having retired people on there books who only want to work 5,10 or 15hrs a week or so many weeks a year and there is no reason ,they should not get paid a decent wage for their efforts and declare what they have to

And before you go on about earning prober money,in real times earnings have been falling since the seventies and will continue to do so,now most need two incomes into the home when working and that is set to move into when you retire also

Live long and prosper,as long as you are well enough to....................work

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Touched a nerve that one Tony but very true.

When i started on my own i had a retired plumber who i would just pass the odd small jobs to and tell the customer what to pay him X amount (the going rate) which he kept for himself, no profit for me. But it kept my customer happy and gave him something to do and a bit extra money. Maybe one or two jobs a week 2 -4 hrs per job and nothing too strenuous. It is a hard thing to go from working all your life to suddenly stopping.
As i started employing people and got busier i would still have the small local things i could never fit in which i would pass on. This worked well for a few years and certainly helped him out as much as me.
After a while he had found himself a new routine and was quite happy to be retired and gave up working altogether which was fine.

Next time you are in bandq have a look at the retired men and women employed by them. Older people certainly have a lot still to offer.

Btw. I am not looking for a job:)

Touched a nerve that one Tony but very true.

When i started on my own i had a retired plumber who i would just pass the odd small jobs to and tell the customer what to pay him X amount (the going rate) which he kept for himself, no profit for me. But it kept my customer happy and gave him something to do and a bit extra money. Maybe one or two jobs a week 2 -4 hrs per job and nothing too strenuous. It is a hard thing to go from working all your life to suddenly stopping.
As i started employing people and got busier i would still have the small local things i could never fit in which i would pass on. This worked well for a few years and certainly helped him out as much as me.
After a while he had found himself a new routine and was quite happy to be retired and gave up working altogether which was fine.

Next time you are in bandq have a look at the retired men and women employed by them. Older people certainly have a lot still to offer.

Btw. I am not looking for a job:)

aye but what about next year???????????

Thanks for the useful posts, I'll come and see you in a couple of yers then?

turn that q the other way up it becomes b the performa wont die LOL

well, I'm retired :), but not retarded ;), contact me, let me know ?, where ?, what the job is ?, how much you paying ?

I aint making any promises :)

Not the gas part unless gas safe , so they will be ripping out humping old rads out and doing the circuit and hanging new rads as they cant touch a boiler at all without gas safe , not something i personally would want to do in old age !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Calling all Retired Plumbers and heating instalation people. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock