Discuss Bungs and automatic vents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
might have been, but the government are asking us not to waste water! I am also thinking , if you close valves on all rads that you are not working on, then the only water u lose is that in the pipe work, in the F&E tank, and in the rad that you ARE working on, right? so prbably , what 6 - 9 buckest full??

i'd leave the valves alone unless they are new'ish. turn off a bunch of valves and i bet one of them leaks on re-filling.

watertight, thanks for that, will bear it in mind for any future work. on a different matter, I noticed that my cold water tank [in loft] is not covered. No lid or any type of cover. I did put some clean cardboard over it actually. are cold water tanks meant to remian uncovered? Look at the dust that could fall in over time. Lofts are dusty areas. [In fact my [much smaller] F&E tank has a polystyrene cover. any comments on this?

watertight, thanks for that, will bear it in mind for any future work. on a different matter, I noticed that my cold water tank [in loft] is not covered. No lid or any type of cover. I did put some clean cardboard over it actually. are cold water tanks meant to remian uncovered? Look at the dust that could fall in over time. Lofts are dusty areas. [In fact my [much smaller] F&E tank has a polystyrene cover. any comments on this?

Tank should be covered, to protect from birds, bugs and I believe diseases (not sure about diseases).
me and my brother made one out of wood. but don't use mdf or ply woiod as these deteriate over time, obviously plastic is better with a hole for vent to slot into.

Well I've found (and posted up on here a photo of) a very dead rat in a CWST. So my advice would be to make a better job of a lid than a bit of cardboard!!!

PS - the rat was like sludge, and when I syphoned the water off, I hoovered it up.....hope no ones eating while reading this!!

Oh and yes Jase it should really have a vent too.

Last edited:
I go to quite a few polystyrene, cardboard and blanket covered tanks, the cleanest ones are alway the ones covered in plastic. It sits straight on and can even have insulation round it. Loads better

it's amazing how many tanks are installed without lids. a tank lid is not exactly pricey.

Finally, I got around to The Great Bunging!
Thanks to all the help here, everything went very well. I had both rad. valves off and despite a constant small leak which I soaked up with towels, there was no problem at all. I initially had a hose on the doc and let that do its thing. Once it had stopped I prepared the rad. and valves and dropped it back into place.
As I mentioned earlier, the boiler is an old Potterton Flamingo that 'doesn't always re-light.' Draining it down and then creating another problem trying to persuade the old b****r to light up was not something I really wanted to do, it takes so much time anyway!
So I just took my time and about 2 hours later it was finished, the boiler was running and I was a happy chappie.
Thanks again for all your help and advice, bunging is something I will certainly try again,
TerryH

Tip - if you can't close off the auto air vent using the top screw, stretch a balloon (or a condom) over the body of the bottle air vent and then wrap with lots of tight rubber bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bungs and automatic vents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Dear professionals, could someone kindly advise on per below issue, please let me know if more pictures or details needed. I think my Auto Air...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m replacing my old Honeywell Smartfit system on a oil fired gravity-fed system in a bungalow. I’ve read conflicting advice on gravity fed...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock