Discuss Bungs and automatic vents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you hve bunged the system and think you have closed all the AAVs you still need to release the system pressure before you go cutting into any pipe. You release system pressure by attaching a hose to drain valve and letting water out, if the system is successfully bunged the flow from the drain valve will gradually slow down and stop after about a minute, if not, air is getting in somehow and the system is draining.

Please feel free to ask any questions about bunging the system as it is something i do all the time

Sorry about the typos, just finished my first bottle of wine for the evening

As stoke mentioned your average well designed/installed open system should not have or need AAV's, but a few problem systems may have had them fitted to cope with the odd airlock. Just have a quick butchers round the pipework then fire away with your bungs. Sometimes the black caps have been completely removed. If I change an AAV I keep some of the old caps for times like this. Or you could just stick a bit of bluetack over the relief hole.

morning gents. need to bung my F&E TANK. what type of bung do i buy . someone did say an expanding bung [comes with a wing nut?] is safes tto use. soemone else said a parsnip!!

Gassmanxxr1,
Do you bung a system when you work alone? I've seen some posts that recommend having a bucket buddy on hand.
The tip about releasing the system pressure is a good one, too; makes a lot of sense, after all cutting into a pipe is a BIG commitment (-:
I've not tried it yet, I understand the theory well enough but it's that first time nerves that get me. It's like an aircraft flying, you can see it, but really it's just magic that keeps it up!
TerryH

Yep i work alone mate. The best thing to do first off is crack open a compression joint if poss, if you get a gusher then just tighten it up.

After you've tried doing it a few times and have confidence you will be glad about all the time saved and airlocks missed

Yep i work alone mate. The best thing to do first off is crack open a compression joint if poss, if you get a gusher then just tighten it up.

After you've tried doing it a few times and have confidence you will be glad about all the time saved and airlocks missed

this is what I do, but remember on certain pipes you might have a little bit of water. if it is on a seperate drop with no drain valve for instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bungs and automatic vents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Dear professionals, could someone kindly advise on per below issue, please let me know if more pictures or details needed. I think my Auto Air...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m replacing my old Honeywell Smartfit system on a oil fired gravity-fed system in a bungalow. I’ve read conflicting advice on gravity fed...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock