Search the forum,

Discuss Bubbling fish-tanks, air fresheners that randomnly go 'pffff!' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
And other such noises that give you the jitters when filling up a system / turning water back. Well there's a new meance. Or at least it's new to me. Saw my second example of it this morning.

I have no idea what it's called but can only describe it as a small, plastic, mains-powered, two-tiered, indoor, pond-feature for cats to drink from. It sits there bubbling it's water and is surely a designed with the sole intention of seeing how many consecutive heart-attacks a plumber can have in one visit.

Simply: WHY?

I know exactly what you mean. I have to have total silence when I fill up. I make the customer mute the tv, send the dog outside, shut the kids up. But someone always goes for pee or starts pouring a glass of squash half way through. I think we're all a little bit paranoid at that point if we're honest.

No one wants to hear running liquid of any type when filling a system or turning the water on to new pipe work in general.

That reminds me of an incident a few years back. I was working with a mate in a house over in Peacehaven. The custard was out when we refilled the heating system. I could hear a regular tick, tick and said that there was something leaking. My mate said that it was a clock ticking. I was convinced that it was a leak so I set out to look for this clock. There weren't any clocks that ticked in the house and we found a joint that hadn't run properly adjacent to the cylinder.

A "Tefal Quick Cup" kettle once had me running down the stairs... I thought the Ri boiler was about to explode! Horrible noisy kettles!!!

Haha, I also have to have complete silence. I also run round the house like a mad man if I hear even the slightest noise. I much prefer filling up a system and pipework with another guy on site, makes it soo much easier.

I did some work on a CWSC once and as I was completing paperwork the washing machine switched on and called for water. I heard the water and promptly ran upstairs to make sure my work was sound before I realised what it was!

The one that always gives me the heebee geebees is the noise from a coffee maker. You know the one that Cappucinos and the like are made in and sounds like rapid air and water escaping.

Had a recurring leak at a cistern and after several strip downs of the tap adapter and flush valve seal, found the culprit was my eight year old having a laugh at my expense with his water gun. Every time I turned my back to reach for a tool, the wee horror squirted more water on the fitting!

Those stupid battery air-fresheners do my head in. Working away minding my own then suddenly PSSHHSHSHH! my heart skips i have a right panic on then i realise whats happened and it takes 10 mins to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bubbling fish-tanks, air fresheners that randomnly go 'pffff!' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock