Discuss BTU calc help in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

7.4kw

Its quite a time consuming and complicated task really and you need to know some data first if you're going to do by hand, although there are websites/software out there that do it for you but they also require the same data, however I would prefer to do by hand. There's two ways a room/building loses heat. 1. Ventilation heat loss and 2. Fabric heat loss. When calculating the ventilation heat loss you need to the total volume of the room, the air changes per hour for that type of room, the design outside temperature and room target temperature. Example.
3m x 4m x 2.4m = 28.8m3, now x that by air change rate, then x that by the design temperature difference and then x that by 0.33 to get your total ventilation heat loss in watts.
Fabric heat loss is a bit more complicated.
The calculation is. Surface area x temperature difference x U value = rate of heat loss in watts.
You would need to know the U value for all materials in the walls and that of windows doors etc.

Its quite a time consuming and complicated task really and you need to know some data first if you're going to do by hand, although there are websites/software out there that do it for you but they also require the same data, however I would prefer to do by hand. There's two ways a room/building loses heat. 1. Ventilation heat loss and 2. Fabric heat loss. When calculating the ventilation heat loss you need to the total volume of the room, the air changes per hour for that type of room, the design outside temperature and room target temperature. Example.
3m x 4m x 2.4m = 28.8m3, now x that by air change rate, then x that by the design temperature difference and then x that by 0.33 to get your total ventilation heat loss in watts.
Fabric heat loss is a bit more complicated.
The calculation is. Surface area x temperature difference x U value = rate of heat loss in watts.
You would need to know the U value for all materials in the walls and that of windows doors etc.
Thank you.

don’t work it out long hand I use a program

Admittedly if the program has all the data needed it's quicker but it's more satisfying to do long hand, well for me it is. A room such as that in question would only take 10-15 minutes to calculate and the more you do these things the more it sinks in lol. I am surprised your program has arrived at a figure of over 7kw but then I haven't run the maths.

Reply to BTU calc help in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey everyone, I’m hoping you’ll be able to help. I’ll try and make it as short as possible so that someone actually reads it, if you need any more...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I want to replace the rads in my front room and to get the right size I'm trying to calculate the BTUs but I'm having agro calculating so...
Replies
Views
Got an underfloor heating to install and Ive done a few repairs on manifolds etc but this is the first design and install for me. Advice and tip...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read this. I've been trying to diagnose why my gas consumption is so high and been doing various...
Replies
Views
C
Hello all, Like most people, I've gone to turn on my central heating after 6 months of it being off and, surprise surprise, it doesn't work. I'm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock