Search the forum,

Discuss Broken head on TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wickers

Hi,

I need to remove a radiator for decorating. The head on the TRV has snapped off so that the pin is exposed.

Does this mean that the TRV is open so that water will flow through it or will it be shut closed so no water will flow.

(I cannot loosen valves and lift radiator off brackets and lie radiator on floor as the pipes are tight in the floor.....just in case anybody suggests this idea).

Thanks for your help.

Wickers

There open.

If you have the box which the TRV came in it should have a white cap in it. If you place that on the head that will shut it off. I always leave these with customers when fitting new TRVS incase they want to decorate.

Temporary fix with tiewraps, jubilee clips, string, or child with stick, not recommended to hold the pin down, it will release when you least expect it.

You'll have a temporary closure cap somewhere, you just didn't realise what it was for.

I should add that it's better to use the closure cap if you've got it as the trv can open up and let by if the temperature drops.
How do I know this?
We had a Welsh plumber called Di (afterwards known as Di the Leek) who took a rad off and only used the trv to isolate the water. Did I mention that this rad was on the first floor? Anyway, it being winter, the temp dropped and the valve opened, water poured out and dropped the kitchen ceiling and then carried on into the basement, dropping that ceiling onto a brand new massive tv and lifting the recently laid oak floor.
Our boss's insurance took a hammering that day!
John

Thanks for all the replies. It's an old TRV that come with the house so there are no spare parts anywhere. Looks like I'll drain the upstairs part of the system to make sure and put on a new TRV.

Cheers

Wickers

Get a small piece of wood or a coin and press the pin in then tape it into position. When you take the rad off put a cap on the end.

Get a small piece of wood or a coin and press the pin in then tape it into position. When you take the rad off put a cap on the end.

Thanks tamz. That's a great idea. I hate draining the system. Open vented system, air locks when refilling etc etc. I'll go with your idea.

Thanks tamz. That's a great idea. I hate draining the system. Open vented system, air locks when refilling etc etc. I'll go with your idea.

nota benae: tamz has been at it a while and wont panic when the noise of flowing water permeates his brain via his ears, first timers wont hear the flowing noise due to screaming and shouting and broken furniture sounds

nota benae: tamz has been at it a while and wont panic when the noise of flowing water permeates his brain via his ears, first timers wont hear the flowing noise due to screaming and shouting and broken furniture sounds

True :lol:

If it's just a broken head, and you can replace it then just look on Amazon for RadClamp and you'll two clamps (See image) that you can keep for the future, or rent them to your neighbours.
image.jpg

Just make sure you wear your deep-sea diving gear with this method.

Not sure if you have fixed the problem yet, but you could bung the vent (guess it's in loft ) and the feed (might be a gate valve on feed down) and drain a small amount of water out of system and then you should get it to hold without draining whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Broken head on TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock