Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler venting into header tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan60

I have a 27 year old Baxi Solo and open vent which keeps venting hot water into the header tank. I have replaced the pump. The zone valves are working fine. I also have a bypass valve fitted. I have power flushed the system and also flushed with mains water. The system has always had inhibitor and I have used cleaners fairly regularly in the past. The water is clear when I drain the system. When the boiler is on all the radiators get hot as does the hot water circuit so it doesn't seem like I have a blockage anywhere. But after about half an hour the boiler makes a hell of a racket and it pours hot water through the vent pipe into my header tank. I am thinking of buying a new system boiler and going unvented but could it be anything else before I go to that expense?

Yeah I have a Grundphos Alpha which I have just replaced and this seems to be pumping hot water around the system correctly as the pipe after it gets very hot with the return pipe being cooler. It is definitely situated after the feed and vent pipes. Someone suggested it could be the thermocouple?

Don't know about thermocouples, I know what one is but I'm not gas reg and only a gas reg guy should be checking it.
There are a few reasons why a system will pump over.
It's pretty much guaranteed to pump over if the pump is on the wrong way.
Also you mentioned a bypass, if that's fully open it could cause pumping over, if it's a lockshield/gate valve type, as long as you have open rads - try temporarily closing it to test, remember the position it was in though and put it back there after testing.
If it's an auto bypass what setting is it on?

Do not take the case off the boiler.

You are not competent to do so. And forget the thermocouple, it most definitely isn't that.

Whomever suggested that to you needs their arse kicked.

Croppie has shown unusual restraint in not closing this thread. If model is solo RS, the one with a pilot light.,simplicity of design may warrant attention rather than replacement. The only repair worth doing is to descale the boiler and hope that in so doing leaks do not appear.
Figures, from energy saving trust, indicate a new efficient boiler would save between ÂŁ215 - ÂŁ350 per year at march 2016 fuel prices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler venting into header tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Can somebody tell me where I can get a cover/top compatible with this header tank please? as insects are getting into the hot water It will also need some form of insulation jacket The tank has been replaced at some point by an identical one, maybe it was damaged so I have included a photo of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock