Discuss Boiler plumbed in incorrectly - advise please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WoodyBM

Hello, We had a Trainco oil boiler installed 3 years ago, replacing a very old gravity fed system. The plumber installed a Y valve and pump etc. The new (3 years old) boiler failed the other day because the heat exchanger has cracked.

I had a plumber come out, he drained the system and said the boiler was a write off. Trainco aren't interested as they went into Administration around the time it was installed.

On quoting for a new system the new plumber asked to look in the airing cupboard. He looked horrified and informed me that the boiler was plumbed in wrong and this was most likely the cause of the boiler failing.

Basically from the out feed of the boiler (hot side) the pump has been installed in-line with the expansion pipe to the loft with a T piece off (on the output side of the pump) to the mid-position valve, in effect plumbing the expansion tank as a radiator. This has obviously introduced oxygen into the system causing it to rust.

We've been suffering mildew and a very damp loft which is obviously due to the hot water and steam in the loft.

The advise I need:

Is there somewhere I can report this that would make any difference. I've spoken to trading standards who have told me to pursue a claim under the Supply of Goods and Services Act - It actually says I have to give him the chance to sort it, to be honest I don't want him near it - There's been lots of other issues too which aren't needed in here but suffice to say we don't talk!!

Is there a criminal case here? The expansion tank is above my child's bedroom. Was there ever any real danger to him?I guess the tank would have been full of very hot water.

Any other thoughts / advise appreciated.

give your new plumber a hug and Tip your new plumber well.
all i'll say !!!
if he was oftec then he is supposed to offer a 6 year workmanship warranty.

I doubt anyone will offer legal advice on a plumbers forum!
There are a lot of clowns out there.

I don't think you can do much without getting reports done and solicitors in. Which could easily cost what you might get back.

A pretty good example of why you need to get somebody you can trust to do a good job as apposed to accepting the 'cheapest' quote. I'm assuming from the shoddy job, he was the cheapest

give your new plumber a hug and Tip your new plumber well.
all i'll say !!!
if he was oftec then he is supposed to offer a 6 year workmanship warranty.

OFTEC yeah right :)

I think that only came in force last April or April 2012.

Hello, We had a Trainco oil boiler installed 3 years ago, replacing a very old gravity fed system. The plumber installed a Y valve and pump etc. The new (3 years old) boiler failed the other day because the heat exchanger has cracked.

I had a plumber come out, he drained the system and said the boiler was a write off. Trainco aren't interested as they went into Administration around the time it was installed.

On quoting for a new system the new plumber asked to look in the airing cupboard. He looked horrified and informed me that the boiler was plumbed in wrong and this was most likely the cause of the boiler failing.

Basically from the out feed of the boiler (hot side) the pump has been installed in-line with the expansion pipe to the loft with a T piece off (on the output side of the pump) to the mid-position valve, in effect plumbing the expansion tank as a radiator. This has obviously introduced oxygen into the system causing it to rust.

We've been suffering mildew and a very damp loft which is obviously due to the hot water and steam in the loft.

The advise I need:

Is there somewhere I can report this that would make any difference. I've spoken to trading standards who have told me to pursue a claim under the Supply of Goods and Services Act - It actually says I have to give him the chance to sort it, to be honest I don't want him near it - There's been lots of other issues too which aren't needed in here but suffice to say we don't talk!!

Is there a criminal case here? The expansion tank is above my child's bedroom. Was there ever any real danger to him?I guess the tank would have been full of very hot water.

Any other thoughts / advise appreciated.

Some simple questions for you.

Why the new plumber?
Have you not let the old one service the boiler annualy?
Do you have the building control certificate for the old installation?

I don't think you have a criminal case, simply because there has not been a crime committed. There may have been breach of good practice or even breach of contract, but thats not the same thing.

Your recourse is to do exactly what trading standards suggest - sue him. Thats what the courts are for.

You don't have to give him a chance to sort it out. You can argue to the judge that there was an irremedial breakdown of trust and confidence and that therefore giving him the chance to fix it was not a viable option. However, this will weaken your case compared to if you had asked him, and he had ignored you or refused.

Before you ask, there is absolutely no way of determining in advance whether or not you will win the case. If this could be known in advance, there would be no need for the court.

I don't think you have a criminal case, simply because there has not been a crime committed. There may have been breach of good practice or even breach of contract, but thats not the same thing.

Agreed. It's horrifying to think what might have happened but nothing has happened.

one issue to note is that the first plumber will probably go insolvent if you sue and win. best advice would be to learn a lesson, start again and go for a stress free life and live longer, just make sure your next boiler is a system one and you wont get the same problem.

He wasn't the cheapest, we used him as he was Oftec registered and we were looking to use the grant scheme at the time. He talked us out of it saying the extra cost of a condensing boiler would be more than we'd gain from the grant and told us to use a B rated boiler.

We fell out at the time of installation as when he'd finished we found that if we had a tank of hot water and turned on the heating, the tank went cold and the heating never came on. I was away so he had my wife take the control box of the mid position valve and use it manually. He then had me contact his electrician to rewire the mid-position valve which sorted that issue.

He then over invoiced by £200 and when I called him to tell him, he went mental at me, making threats of going toe to toe etc. It was weird how he turned. It took 4 letters back and forth to sort it out but it was left on bad terms.

The original job took a lot longer than he said it would. He trashed the landing carpet lifting floor boards and walking oil soot up and down the stairs. He also covered the kitchen in oil soot which took a lot of cleaning up.

I'm not expecting an easy ride on this one but it cost over £3500 to install and is looking to cost the same again, plus there's the repairs needed in the new kitchen where the water has damaged doors and cupboards. I was hoping there was a body he could be reported to so he'd get struck off if he didn't pay to sort it. I fear as mentioned above that he'll just close the limited company, change the name slightly and carry on.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler plumbed in incorrectly - advise please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock