Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler on the cheap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikerbas

If a customer wants a replacement bolier fitting to an old sys with no trvs room stat etc.and dosent want a magna clean or TF1 even thou ive advised them.
Can you still go ahead and fit a new boiler?There ok with putting a cleaner in week before and inhibitor.but dont want trvs on rads and a room thermostat.

If a customer wants a replacement bolier fitting to an old sys with no trvs room stat etc.and dosent want a magna clean or TF1 even thou ive advised them.
Can you still go ahead and fit a new boiler?There ok with putting a cleaner in week before and inhibitor.but dont want trvs on rads and a room thermostat.

Why you asking here it's your choice whether you do it or not
You know your not ment to!!

Current building regulations demand TRVs etc as I'm sure you know.

I prefer to do things properly or walk away from the job. If you're quiet when explaining to the customer, as opposed to pushy and thinking more profit, most people will agree in the end. One way around it is to explain to them that solicitors will find it more difficult when it comes to selling the house and the EPC will be marked down heavily. I also think it's illegal to break the regulations.

Going to walk away always get a bad feeling when customers try and cut corners,Let someone else have it,just out of curosity say an old womens boiler completly packed in but she couldent afford trvs room stat etc how could you refuse her heat and hot water if she didnt have the money.

This is part of the regs which i dont fully agree with (TRVs) exactly for the reason above...the responses I agree with also though...its best to stick to the regs to the letter so that your back is fully covered and you know there isnt a single job out there that could come back and bite you in the bum.

Re the old woman's boiler, if price is an issue I'd try and help them somehow, either by cutting my price more or by helping them investigating grants from the local council for example.

Most of my customers are fairly elderly and many appreciate the non money aspect of my job - eg spending an extra 20 minutes chatting to them as they're on their own. It's one reason why they keep recommending me to each other!! Also most customers who are having new boilers installed are in private housing and usually have a few thousand saved up so can afford the £100 for 10 TRVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to walk away always get a bad feeling when customers try and cut corners,Let someone else have it,just out of curosity say an old womens boiler completly packed in but she couldent afford trvs room stat etc how could you refuse her heat and hot water if she didnt have the money.

There is exeptions to every rule ifits a genuine issue then we can all help by bending rules
It's nice to be nice

People can only afford what they can afford and if trv's are beyond their budget so be it. It may only add another £200 or so to the cost but £200 is a lot of money to some. If you don't do it someone else will.
When filling in the benchmark at TRV bit write "customer advised but refused". Same with room stat.

i phoned gas safe once as i had a customer that did not want room stat or trvs fitting and they advised to fill out a gas safety record or write on the bench mark that the customer insisted on not having them fitted and get them to sign just to cover me.also why turn work down as someone else will only do it .

ant

The reason i asked is when i did my gas training the tutor told us you couldent force someone and he used the example of an old lady how you couldent turn her down if money was reaily tight.Maybe hes wrong.anyway i wont be doing it

These sort of regulations really get my goat. I have TRV's. I think they are great. The way legislation is going though we will soon have the situation where some one gets a broken window pane in a 200 year old single glazed cottage and call out a glazier only to be told 'sorry love, I would love to replace that 9 inch square panel but regs are regs and it has to be a new triple glazed window'.

I think every body gets hung out and state regs this regs that ,so long as the gas & flue side of things are safe the building regs are almost irrelevant and are poorly enforced

When i converted my garage into a dinning room i did it all to the regs,and i remember talking to the building inspector on one of his many visits and he said if i didnt do it to the regs he wouldent sign it off thats all he was on about.Just said it would not be classed as an extra room.

1. my mate has just sold his house and guess what the estate agent did not want to see any certificates for the boiler fire or electrics which are ancient and never been serviced but they said they neede certificates for his pvc windows or they could not sell the house.its regs gone made how can a window kill you unless it falls out but a fire ###
ant

LOL it can't be that bad - those people from BG would soon condem it! The local builders here seem to be fitting Worcester combi boilers in new housing, so I would guess they are pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler on the cheap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock