Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler flue tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

just wondering if any of you have any good tips for when you replace a boiler and the old flue was the big square balanced flues, new boiler bracket is always in the hole, obviously you can brick it up, and then start from new, just wondered if anybody had some good ideas on how they do them that makes them easy. I can't lift the boiler up on this one.

I'll get shot down for saying it I'm sure but thermolite block and fast setting expanding foam. But make sure you leave the foam long enough first. Goes rock solid if done correctly.

Plywood pad across the hole ( if MI allows it) then brick it up from the outside is the quickest way

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with kirk. I go with sheet of ply then sheet of superlux screwed to that. And brick up the other side from outside.

Ideal do a plate for the logic that covers the bf hole and allows you to screw the original bracket straight in to the plate.

I use my mate who is a rough caster. He finishes it quick, to a high standard and is miles better than me at it. My bricking up is rather rubbish and he has all the stuff in his van to cover any wall. One less thing to worry about too.

Well said APP we do just the same quick easy fits well no mess centralheatking
I'll get shot down for saying it I'm sure but thermolite block and fast setting expanding foam. But make sure you leave the foam long enough first. Goes rock solid if done correctly.

Im a plywood man aswell if i can get enough access from outside and you wont see the ply, ie cupboards , i try not to have bits of wood being seen if in kitchens etc, if in kitchen then il open up wall slightly and brace up then re sheet with whats neccessary to ,mis, then get plasterer in to make tidy,

My daughter's boiler the "O" rings in the flue burnt out because Mr Brain Dead didn't push the flue down into the socket, the flue gases went
back in to the boiler inlet and the flame kept lifting off, Mr Brain Dead put the flue in the core hole with two tubes of bath sealant, is this what they teach GSR to do. It took about a hour to dig the flue out, I like to see a liner then if you need to take the flue out just pack it with asbestos rope, only choking... Mr Brain dead also stuck the trimming ring on with another tube of bath sealant. New House

Im a plywood man aswell if i can get enough access from outside and you wont see the ply, ie cupboards , i try not to have bits of wood being seen if in kitchens etc, if in kitchen then il open up wall slightly and brace up then re sheet with whats neccessary to ,mis, then get plasterer in to make tidy,

Plumbers become joiners now hey!

I use a couple of days worth of news paper held together with crazy foam!

I then use PVA glue to make everything watertight....looks a right mess but it's not my house gaffer!

I use a couple of days worth of news paper held together with crazy foam!

I then use PVA glue to make everything watertight....looks a right mess but it's not my house gaffer!

Sounds nice that next time you do one can we have a snap and then we can all do it the same way :hand:

build the new flue in with blocks and fast setting cement then either a rendered square on the outside or if customer wants to pay tooth in new brick on outside

Steve,

Why don't you ask the boiler manufacturers to make that outer cover ring about 500 mm in diameter, sorted !

What's the world coming to if the flue hole is at the back of the property just leave, as is, big hole. :thinking:

y6u9udu9.jpg

Let's go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler flue tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock