Search the forum,

Discuss Bloody kitchen fitters, thoughts... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Doing a gas safety for a chap that was contemplating letting his flat.

He basically wanted to know any things that might need to be put right beforehand

nice flat, brand new kitchen, hob and boiler well installed (ish) but nothing major.

Came to do tightness test and asked where the meter was.

In that corner cupboard says he..

open cupboard and and gas meter is in furthest away corner.

Now I'm a tall bloke with long arms and I can just about reach the front of the meter. Can't reach ECV or anything worthwhile.

What the hell do you do with this? Ironically you can't even cap the meter to AR/ID it if you wanted to.

Doing a gas safety for a chap that was contemplating letting his flat.

He basically wanted to know any things that might need to be put right beforehand

nice flat, brand new kitchen, hob and boiler well installed (ish) but nothing major.

Came to do tightness test and asked where the meter was.

In that corner cupboard says he..

open cupboard and and gas meter is in furthest away corner.

Now I'm a tall bloke with long arms and I can just about reach the front of the meter. Can't reach ECV or anything worthwhile.

What the hell do you do with this? Ironically you can't even cap the meter to AR/ID it if you wanted to.

Ring Transco and tell them you can't access the meter to blank it,
Alternatively tell the home owner that the meter needs to be accessible and it will need moving by the gas supplier, nice big bill

I know there's no room for sentiment here with gas safety I might take the door off and cap it and suggest that they get the kitchen fitter back

A.R.
Issue a notice.

Tell the flat owner to tell the kitchen fitter that HE has caused an A.R situation and could be prosecuted.

It's exactly the same as a builder capping a chimney used by a working gas fire.

Yeah it's a great shout and that's what I'll do.

Can't help but feel sorry for the homeowner though. They paid to have the boiler and hob professionally installed before the kitchen was done by a gsr then the kitchen idiots cock it up for them

I have one very similar, i can turn off ecv , just.
The customer cant even get in to the cupboard lol

I often work with kitchen fitters who do stupid things ive seen it all from boxing in a meter but leaving just the ECV hanging out or having just the reading visible to one the other day where they had boxed in and plastered around the meter and removed (one of the old steel ECV's where the handle can come off) the ECV to make their life easier, I reported it to National Grid who sent someone round to replace the ECV and basically had the entire area cut out for access of a brand new kitchen which he must have loved.

Have been to a customer's recently where the meter was behind a kitchen cupboard with a window cut out in the back board and a slot for the ECV handle. The cupboard had 4 drawers in it so you had to remove them first. The house would have blown out before you reached the lever in an emergency but then all the meters under stairs with walking sticks and umbrellas hung off them are not much better. The kitchen one had a report from BIG stating AT meter permanently impaired. They reported the same every year apparently and nothing was ever done to move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bloody kitchen fitters, thoughts... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
N
I have just had a new combi boiler system fitted and the boiler fitter did not change it over to mains flow, leaving a poor flow around the house. 45mins? + to fill a bath and over a minute wait for hot water to reach the kitchen. His reason was because our bthroom fittings are designed for low...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors. The waste stack is internal and bricked into corner of the bathroom. I noticed paint peeling and brown staining recently at the bottom near the...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock