Search the forum,

Discuss Blanking Off Plug for 56mm Strap on Boss? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonjack

Hi

I have discovered a leak from my waste stack in the roof space of my extension.
It seems that at some point in the past before I owned the house someone fitted a plastic strap on Boss to the existing cast iron stack but it was never used, nor a blanking off cap fitted it seems.

I can't seem to find a rubber blanking off cap to plug the hole - can anyone kindly point me in the right direction?
I can't find anything at Wickes, B&Q, or Build Center.

The hole diameter is about 56mm.

cheers

Are there any appliances above the strap boss?

Seems odd that it should leak if its in the roof space?!

As far as I'm aware you won't find a cap/plug so you'll have to get an adaptor (40mm/32mm) then put a small piece of pipe to suit & then an access plug with cap.

There may be a simpler way but at this time on a Sunday this is the only solution I can think of.

Are there any appliances above the strap boss?

Seems odd that it should leak if its in the roof space?!

As far as I'm aware you won't find a cap/plug so you'll have to get an adaptor (40mm/32mm) then put a small piece of pipe to suit & then an access plug with cap.

There may be a simpler way but at this time on a Sunday this is the only solution I can think of.

Hi Tom,

The extension is ground floor only, but house is 2-story. Fortunately, only the upstairs sink connection is above the boss so only sink waste is leaking. The WC waste from upstairs connects to the stack just below the boss fortunately.
Thanks for the suggestion but the diameter of the boss hole is 56mm.
I get the idea though.

cheers
Jon

50mm Solvent Weld Access Plug | 50mm Solvent-weld Waste | Drainage Online

Wolsey Pipe Center or decent Independant Merchant, it's out of B & Q's league.

alternate, rubber 50mm to 40mm reducer and 40mm blank

Cheers Snowhead,

Looks like I might try solvent welding then.
I'm hoping that the external diameter of the plug is 56mm since this seems roughly the diameter of the hole in the boss, even though its hard to get at and difficult to measure accurately.

Thanks
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blanking Off Plug for 56mm Strap on Boss? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Our SVP had a Boss connector fitted to it Similar to this: MCALPINE MECHANICAL PIPE BOSS CONNECTOR BLACK 40MM SF #55722 It was removed and 'taped' with gaffer tape The tape has failed and is leaking Q: Is there such a thing as a "40mm blanking plate" or similar for the remaining hole...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I’ve got a new section of stack fitted but when I fitted the strap boss I was too keen to test it and it now slightly leaks where it meets the stack. I was wondering whether it’s worth trying to get it off and have another go or just replace the full piece (about 2 metres ) If I did...
Replies
Views
Hi have surplus water feed and return pipes in my home. I can't isolate them so will need to freeze. House built 1970's. They're as far as can tell Carbon/mild steel pipe, 28mm dia. Wish to cap them off. Can I use brass compression fittings? Like in the pic. Or do I need to use steel fixings...
Replies
Views
I removed an old shower hose, which was installed by previous home owner at least 12 years ago. Upon removal, the connection is like nothing I have ever seen and I am unable to find any replacement hose of similar connector type. btw: When I removed the hose , there was no loose rubber washer...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just discovered that my bath overflow drain pipe is not connected as the flexible drain tube looks like it has been cut off at some point. After studying...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock