Search the forum,

Discuss Boss remove - Hole blank in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
Our SVP had a Boss connector fitted to it
Similar to this: MCALPINE MECHANICAL PIPE BOSS CONNECTOR BLACK 40MM
SF #55722

It was removed and 'taped' with gaffer tape
The tape has failed and is leaking

Q: Is there such a thing as a "40mm blanking plate" or similar for the remaining hole?

We don't really want a new Boss installed as it is now redundant

Thanks in advance

Yes, if there’s any of it left then a ridding eye access cap, blanking plug et al can be fitted, if there’s not then maybe then it’s into a rodding point, using one of these?

Or cut a square out of the side wall of a piece of 4” soil pipe so that each side is wider than the hole by an inch.
Then heat it up with the blow torch to slightly soften it, then push it against the soil pipe while it cools.
This will reshape it slightly so that it now fits the slightly larger od of the patch.
Then use solvent weld to fit it in place.

If you wanna get real fancy, cut another piece with a hole saw, the same size as the boss hole and glue it in the middle of you new patch before fitting it. This will reduce the risk of stuff getting caught on the lip if the existing hole. If you don’t wanna to this step, use a file and slightly file the inside of the existing hole to remove the sharp edges before fitting the patch.

Or cut a square out of the side wall of a piece of 4” soil pipe so that each side is wider than the hole by an inch.
Then heat it up with the blow torch to slightly soften it, then push it against the soil pipe while it cools.
This will reshape it slightly so that it now fits the slightly larger od of the patch.
Then use solvent weld to fit it in place.

If you wanna get real fancy, cut another piece with a hole saw, the same size as the boss hole and glue it in the middle of you new patch before fitting it. This will reduce the risk of stuff getting caught on the lip if the existing hole. If you don’t wanna to this step, use a file and slightly file the inside of the existing hole to remove the sharp edges before fitting the patch.
I dreamt a similar thing last night
Oval cut out, small hole in middle to allow a coat hanger, bent at 90 degrees, to position, and with a heat gun and solvent weld - Position and fix
Another circle cut out, fractionally smaller than the hole, solvent weld in place and gutter sealant around the perimeter
BUT .. decided to go for the collar - less of a ball ache
Thanks anyway
:)

Reply to Boss remove - Hole blank in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock