Search the forum,

Discuss Cap for carbon steel pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi have surplus water feed and return pipes in my home. I can't isolate them so will need to freeze. House built 1970's. They're as far as can tell Carbon/mild steel pipe, 28mm dia. Wish to cap them off. Can I use brass compression fittings? Like in the pic. Or do I need to use steel fixings? Like a 28mm threaded plug. Local plumber wanted to order in very heavy compression caps at £24 ea. seemed a bit much. Advice appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20231104_093551.jpg
    20231104_093551.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231114_070704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_070704_Chrome.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 14
They are galvanised steel.
It depends which way you intend to cap them. If it is the elbow that will be left over, use a plug.
If it measures around 1" externally then it will be 3/4" tube but it should say the size on the side of the fittings/elbows.

They are galvanised steel.
It depends which way you intend to cap them. If it is the elbow that will be left over, use a plug.
If it measures around 1" externally then it will be 3/4" tube but it should say the size on the side of the fittings/elbows.
Ah galvanised steel. Thanks @Last Plumber.
Yes attatched is what the plumbers merchants were offering. All depends on whether it can be frozen at or before the elbow. Plug would be easier though. As for galvanised compression fittings. Not sure why they are so expensive. Is it accepted practice to use brass fittings with galvanised steel. I believe brass fittings are of a brass mix to reduce galvanic corrosion to a minimum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114_080051_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_080051_eBay.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 11
Ah galvanized steel. Thanks @Last Plumber.
Yes attached is what the plumbers merchants were offering. All depends on whether it can be frozen at or before the elbow. Plug would be easier though. As for galvanized compression fittings. Not sure why they are so expensive. Is it accepted practice to use brass fittings with galvanised steel. I believe brass fittings are of a brass mix to reduce galvanic corrosion to a minimum.
I would not use brass and galvanized steel together.
Compression fittings are OK but I avoid them and only use as a last resort.
If you can get the pipe out of the elbow and use a plug, that's the best way.

I presume this is heating?

Ah galvanised steel. Thanks @Last Plumber.
Yes attatched is what the plumbers merchants were offering. All depends on whether it can be frozen at or before the elbow. Plug would be easier though. As for galvanised compression fittings. Not sure why they are so expensive. Is it accepted practice to use brass fittings with galvanised steel. I believe brass fittings are of a brass mix to reduce galvanic corrosion to a minimum.
YES this will work 100% on GB I did this many moons ago on 1inch GB Tested this on 1/2 GB it held Ten Bar Pressure IF its 28mm Galvo You will have to go up to the next Size Which Would be 35 mm uk copper size The copper Ring on the Galvo will compress You might have to do a Bit of Filing but it will work and you will not need a pair of Flippers and a Snorkel or the Fire brigade to bail you out

Reply to Cap for carbon steel pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock