Search the forum,

Discuss Best Practice - Running Pipes through Dot and Dab Plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antsals

Morning all,

Very quick background; I have 10 year old house, been in it 18 months. When central heating comes on on many of the downstairs rads where the pipe runs down the wall there is always a clicking / ticking noise. I was advised that it is probably where the pipes run through the joist of the house. Lifted floorboards and no joists near it.

I now assume its something to do with the dot and dab and the pipework encased in the adhesive. Something to do with the expansion and contraction of the pipework?

I'm now currently decorating and want to sort the problem. I have exposed the pipework and found that there is no protection on the pipes. Some of the "dot & dab" is encasing the pipework (although I have removed it all from the pipework I have exposed) the pipes are clipped to the wall, but to protect from the wall / cement (I guess) they have used a plstic sheet very similar (if not the exact thing) as what you would use on brickwork and the damp course level. I suppose this could also be makin the noise?

What I'm asking is what is best practice on protecting and running these pipes in the wall to be sure I will eliminate this nosie issue?

My idea....unclip, removed that plastic sheet, use some tubular felt to protect pipe, re-clip to wall, (should I now cover with metal casing like what you would use to protect cables?) or something else? Then I was thinking of filling with plaster adhesive, then skim or should I somehow fill the void so I don't adhevise the pipes?

Any advise / help I would welcome,
Thanks,
Ant

turn up the radio or tv, noisy pipes normally at joists or where no freedom of movement given on long runs. I think you are getting a bit ocd the way your going with this

turn up the radio or tv, noisy pipes normally at joists or where no freedom of movement given on long runs. I think you are getting a bit ocd the way your going with this

Its so annoying! It doesn't do it in everyone else's house I go too!

When you say joist or no freedom; everything is clipped like it should be

Ant

probably got death watch beetle rather than loose pipes, they make clicking sounds

ok so with it exposed and the heating on where is the noise coming from ? has it stopped ?

The problem is you bought a new house.....
Everything is geared to profit & shareholders. As far as the big builders are concerned quality is an [FONT=arial, sans-serif]inconvenience they have to deal with. As long as the system works and doesn't leak there happy quality control tick. I know this as i work on large housing developments for the last 7 years chasing the buck
But sorry back to your original question, answer hair felt round the heating pipes in fact all the pipes where they pass through joists or tight spots this means taking up the floor and finding your pipework
[/FONT]

The problem is you bought a new house.....
Everything is geared to profit & shareholders. As far as the big builders are concerned quality is an inconvenience they have to deal with. As long as the system works and doesn't leak there happy quality control tick. I know this as i work on large housing developments for the last 7 years chasing the buck
But sorry back to your original question, answer hair felt round the heating pipes in fact all the pipes where they pass through joists or tight spots this means taking up the floor and finding your pipework

Thanks for the reply....yep I know some of the quality around the house is questionable. Felt the pipe all the way up the wall, can I just fill the channel with plaster adhesive or should I cover it first?

Thanks,
Ant

Youhave to cover the pipework to protect from the acidic reation with lime etc in the mortors reacting with the copper ! Go to the merchants and get denso tape or something ! Its a netted tape covered in petrolium jelly !

Before you go hacking are you sure that the pipes aren't rubbing on something ie skirting boards, where they come through the wall?
We used to run heating behind dot and dab in 10mm speedfit then though a wiring back plate and put a plastic panel on over it.
If the pipes were pulled to tight against the plastic panel it would creek like

if the pipe is solidly held in dot n dab it cant move, evidence of movement would be cracked plaster adhesive, is/was it. probably as stated the cause is tight joist cut outs, or moving thro exit points or no room for movement. death watch beetle go tap tap tap at night time as well.

Nah he replied after my comment ! Just seem to ignor or didnt see my question !

Bit of an update.....re-run the pipework felted and clipped up......no noise when they are exposed. It was nothing to do with the joist where it goes through the ceiling they are silent.

Convinced it was something to do with the dot and dab over the pipework. Now i need to work out how to re-plaster over them? Any suggestions?

Ant

You should be okay to just go over them now they're covered in felt.

Morning all,

Very quick background; I have 10 year old house, been in it 18 months. When central heating comes on on many of the downstairs rads where the pipe runs down the wall there is always a clicking / ticking noise. I was advised that it is probably where the pipes run through the joist of the house. Lifted floorboards and no joists near it.

I now assume its something to do with the dot and dab and the pipework encased in the adhesive. Something to do with the expansion and contraction of the pipework?

I'm now currently decorating and want to sort the problem. I have exposed the pipework and found that there is no protection on the pipes. Some of the "dot & dab" is encasing the pipework (although I have removed it all from the pipework I have exposed) the pipes are clipped to the wall, but to protect from the wall / cement (I guess) they have used a plstic sheet very similar (if not the exact thing) as what you would use on brickwork and the damp course level. I suppose this could also be makin the noise?

What I'm asking is what is best practice on protecting and running these pipes in the wall to be sure I will eliminate this nosie issue?

My idea....unclip, removed that plastic sheet, use some tubular felt to protect pipe, re-clip to wall, (should I now cover with metal casing like what you would use to protect cables?) or something else? Then I was thinking of filling with plaster adhesive, then skim or should I somehow fill the void so I don't adhevise the pipes?

Any advise / help I would welcome,
Thanks,
Ant

Hell 90% of the house built over the last 10 years are all like this, plastic in a wall, I have never heard the great nations house owners complaining to builders from hell on this one, I wear hearing aids so it wouldn't bother me, someone's got bat ears, I could be your eyes 20 20 on that. I might be wrong but I didn't think plastic could make a noise, chaps on here think it's so good it could never do that. :2guns:

Happyflyer its not plastic its copper pipe......theres something going wierd with this one.....def something to do with how the plaster dot and dab is retaining the pipework. I'm guessing becuse it retains it in area's and doesn't in others it makes the sound. I bet I could record it....if you really want to hear it!

Ant

Happyflyer its not plastic its copper pipe......theres something going wierd with this one.....def something to do with how the plaster dot and dab is retaining the pipework. I'm guessing becuse it retains it in area's and doesn't in others it makes the sound. I bet I could record it....if you really want to hear it!

Ant

Sorry Ant,

I miss read that, if it is your right, but there is another point which you may have missed the plasterboard is acting like a drum, a sounding board even had it been installed as it should have been boxed in on the surface and clipped it would still tick, trapped behind the PB and stuck in places with dabs you have no chance of keeping it quiet, I would be pulling it out of there and dare I say this, this is one for plastic, hell that left a taste in my mouth like putting my tongue on a 9 volt battery, make a few of you very very happy.

Tony

Sorry Ant,

I miss read that, if it is your right, but there is another point which you may have missed the plasterboard is acting like a drum, a sounding board even had it been installed as it should have been boxed in on the surface and clipped it would still tick, trapped behind the PB and stuck in places with dabs you have no chance of keeping it quiet, I would be pulling it out of there and dare I say this, this is one for plastic, hell that left a taste in my mouth like putting my tongue on a 9 volt battery, make a few of you very very happy.

Tony

i'd agree that plasterboard can act like a drum on stud work but on dot n dab it could not have that effect at all, but the issue this guy is having has never occurred on any dot n dab with pipe set behind it Ive installed. the only thing i can think of is that the copper is pushing against something on an elbow where it cant expand and this is ticking away. To have pulled a wall apart for some ticking is a first and seriously ocd.

i'd agree that plasterboard can act like a drum on stud work but on dot n dab it could not have that effect at all, but the issue this guy is having has never occurred on any dot n dab with pipe set behind it Ive installed. the only thing i can think of is that the copper is pushing against something on an elbow where it cant expand and this is ticking away. To have pulled a wall apart for some ticking is a first and seriously ocd.

Might be ticking from further back that is resonating, I still think that the hollow gap in the back of the PB might amplify the sounds, you need to be there to make an assessment, its all guess work third forth and filth hand

Tony

To have pulled a wall apart for some ticking is a first and seriously ocd.
I hope he didn't pull a clock off the wall before he started hacking away.

Wouldn't be the first time someone's run around looking for a leak or trying to cure pipe noises because of a clock ticking!

Wouldn't be the first time someone's run around looking for a leak or trying to cure pipe noises because of a clock ticking!

Is that an admission?

most people in ireland near the borders are used to listening out for ticking, its what kept them alive most of the time:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Practice - Running Pipes through Dot and Dab Plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This...
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room and in the process adding some internal wall insulation. The wall has been stripped and my plumber is coming...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
D
Hi folks. I have 2 pipes that run through my bedroom that are boxed in by skirtings. Both these pipes come from the boiler that sits in a...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock