Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on insulated plasterboard around pipes in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm currently refurbishing a room and in the process adding some internal wall insulation.

The wall has been stripped and my plumber is coming this week to install/reconfigure the pipework for new radiators.

The walls are solid brick and as I am installing insulated plasterboards, we agreed rather than chasing the pipework into the wall, he will run the 15mm pipework clipped to the surface of the wall as this will then be hidden by the plasterboards. (I will be insulating with Celotex 52.5mm insulated plasterboards).

However I am now thinking, how exactly will the plasterboards hide the pipework?
  1. Would I cut into the insulated plasterboard to accommodate the pipework? I believe this isn't recommended as it could breach the insulation properties of the boards
  2. My plasterer planned to use dot and dab so would he need to apply additional adhesive to make up the difference?
  3. Would the plasterboards need to be mechanically fixed to batons instead of dot and dab?
  4. None of the above and just get the plumber to chase the pipework into the wall?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

As above or do what's done on new build to accomodate 22mm pipes .
Get plasterer to dot extra strips of plasterboard to wall to pack insulated boards off.
I've had the older part of my place done with that type of board we added a fair few mechanical fixings as well.

Thanks both. So if I go down the baton route and then I assume fix the insulation to the batons, what would I do about the gaps behind the batons to avoid damp issues?

Or maybe just use wool insulation in-between the timbers instead of insulated plasterboard?

If it’s just one room and pipework for rads, just get the angle grinder and sds outand chase the pipes in 30 mins.

Sounds like a lots less hassle than battens etc.

If it’s just one room and pipework for rads, just get the angle grinder and sds outand chase the pipes in 30 mins.

Sounds like a lots less hassle than battens etc.

Thanks for your comment.

Either way it's more work for my plumber or more work for my plasterer, just trying to work out which would be more cost effective. I've asked my plumber how much extra he would charge to chase them in.

Out of interest, how deep would he need to chase and what sort of protection (if any) would he need to protect the pipes?

Thanks for your comment.

Either way it's more work for my plumber or more work for my plasterer, just trying to work out which would be more cost effective. I've asked my plumber how much extra he would charge to chase them in.

Out of interest, how deep would he need to chase and what sort of protection (if any) would he need to protect the pipes?
You’re insulating over the top, so deep enough to get the pipes below the current wall level with enough to strap them in (galv band) and to protect them (hair felt will do) from any dot/dap.

Did you say 50mm insulated plasterboard? Could even cut some insulation out of the back.

Any reason why they can’t put in front of the plasterboard you would need the chase 35mm deep

Any reason why they can’t put in front of the plasterboard you would need the chase 35mm deep
But then the pipes would be on display and I don't think the wife would let me live in peace if that happened!

How did you get to 35mm deep out of interest? Is this just to accommodate 15mm and pipe clips?

By the way they don't need to be completely hidden beneath the wall, they can protrude out slightly as there will still be some extra mm allowance for the dot and dab.

Did you say 50mm insulated plasterboard? Could even cut some insulation out of the back.
I will be using 52.5 celotex which is basically 40mm insulation bonded to 12.5mm plasterboard. Cutting into this is an option (my first option actually in my original post) however i've heard this is to be avoided as it could breach the insulation.

But then the pipes would be on display and I don't think the wife would let me live in peace if that happened!

How did you get to 35mm deep out of interest? Is this just to accommodate 15mm and pipe clips?

By the way they don't need to be completely hidden beneath the wall, they can protrude out slightly as there will still be some extra mm allowance for the dot and dab.

9mm insulation and 15mm pipe

Are they chased in existing ?

Reply to Advice on insulated plasterboard around pipes in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
I would really appreciate some professional opinions on attached photo. We had an extension built a couple of years ago and a new bathroom installed on first floor (directly above pipe work in photo) About 9 months ago noticed chipboard flooring around area of this pipe work was sinking and...
Replies
Views
The situation is as follows. I have a shower enclosure which is slightly too small for the new shower tray. In a way this works to my advantage. I think. Why, because I stupidly bought 3mm wet wall panels. I didn't forsee the issues this would cause. (The panels not being thick enough to overlap...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock