Discuss Baxi Solo HE reliability in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garrybloor

Hi I am new to the forum but would appreciate any advise on the Baxi Solo HE boiler range
Under the Home Energy Improvements scheme we have been offered an upgrade to a Baxi Solo HE 15 by N Power
with a two year guarentee, this is no chioce of boiler.
A plumber friend of ours has advised us that these are towards the bottom end and that repairs on these can be costly.
I would appreciate any advise on the reliability of these boilers and if any of the other energy companies offer different or better quality boilers
The boiler that is in, is about 20 years old but still works ok and we are concerned about getting expensive repair bills
after the two years.
Thanks Garry

Do it. Baxi are a good make, Your gas bills will reduce greatly.

Your plumber friend was wrong, there not near the bottom... They are At the bottom!

If its your responsibility after 2 years then I would stay clear... Ask for a Worcester Bosch Ri... Much better, and won't fall to pieces after 2 years....

There were a few issues with the early ones not sure if they have been ironed out yet.

condensate trap blocking up. Although that is more lack of servicing.
the burners were upgraded from felt to ceramic so that issue was ironed out
the case seals ideally need replacing every service unless they have now upgraded those too.
wort fault I've had with them is the sump leaks then the securing boot shears off when you attempt to replace it resulting in the need for a new heat exchanger.

all that said though I would happily have one in my own home. They are easy to service and work on so should you need to call anyone out labor cost should be relatively low.

much better this then an ideal icons/isar previously offered on grant schemes

Are you elligable for a grant or is it being tied to your as meter? If it's attached to gas, do yourself a favour get a local guy in to flush and pressurise your system. It will cost you far less and hopefully be a far better job.

I would recommend an ideal logic + system boiler .

If your old boiler works I would just save up and buy a new one. Ps n power arnt the cheapest gas supplier. Cheapest is always best when buying gas. No difference it's the same gas

Problems with the ri though is they are massively over priced the heat exchanger is prone to faliure. The PCB and fan assembly are astronomical in cost should they go wrong (and they do) like any Worcester they are a pig to work on as everything is built on top of each other. The sump seal on the condensate trap leaks

but every boiler has it's problems nothing is perfect it just comes down to preference.

Agree, don't go for a Worcester (though the Ri is the best thing they make you can still do much better for the same or less cost!) the Solo HE is OK, they have probably chose it as there is no need for a pump overun.

I've just had mine replaced after 7 years of unreliable service. 1 new fan, one new pcb, several electrodes, and a leaking manifold. Last straw was 3 sheared bolt whilst trying to fix the leak for a second time. ..... They are easy to work on though.

Solo is crap. Avoid it. Only reason to fit one is the wiring.

The logic HO is a good boiler, however it's a lot taller than a Baxi solo and I've come across a few scenarios where they aren't suitable as replacements for other heat only's due to size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Solo HE reliability in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock