Discuss Baxi Platinum 28 HE making a banging noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robflh

Hi All

With Fernox F3 in the system the banging stopped, with it removed the banging stated again and before my previous thread got locked someone mentioned scale in the heat exchanger. I live in a relatively soft water area but I had to drain the system a while ago.

I was putting the floor boards back down in one of the bedrooms after re-routing the mains cable for the shower when I herd two hissing sounds. Oh yes, a screw in to each of the main pipes from the boiler.

I cut a small section out of each pipe and then I joined them together with a straight coupler ring. Unfortunately, I did not put in any inhibitor.

I checked on the web for a boiler descaler and found the Fernox DS40, which is not cheap and the Sentinel X200 Boiler Descaler at less the 20 quid. The X200 can be left in the system and should continue working for the next few years. So that is what I was going to use.

As it happened my plumber called round the next morning. To save time I had already got the front cover off for ready when he could get round. It only took him a couple of minutes to work out that it was scale in the heat exchanger.

Replacing it would cost £200 and that is £200 I do not have, so I have used the X200. Even if it delays the HX being replaced it will give me time to sort out some money.

I turned off all the radiators except the one closest to the boiler, drained off some water and put in the X200. I then topped up the water and switched on the boiler. I let the system run with just the one radiator, in the hope that a more concentrated amount would remove the scale a bit quicker. I was concerned that I might do more harm then good so after a couple of hours I opened the valves on all the other radiators.

I now have a working system, no banging and DHW at 50 degrees.

However, I have no idea how well the heat exchanger is working, so I was hoping to get some feedback from all of you.

On a similar system, Baxi Platinum HE, what does the temperature gauge go up to with the DHW set for 50. Mine is going up to about 86.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've a good relationship with the plumber you mention why not ask him. It sounds like he's familiar with the setup so it makes sense all round to me.

I have been doing a bit of research and as a result of that I would like a second opinion on what is wrong with my boiler.

If I was to set the water temperature to 60 and turn on a hot top, I would expect to see the temperature gauge rise until it got to about 90 when the safety system would kick in and turn of the gas. Once the temperature dropped the boiler would fire up again.

Turning down the water temperature to say 40 the temperature would rise to lets say 80 and stay around that temperature.

If that was what is happening with my boiler I would agree that the heat exchanger is not working efficiently and needs to be cleaned or changed.

However, if I set the water temperature to more the 40 and turn on a hot tap the temperature gauge will rise and when it gets to 85 or more the water pressure will fluctuate and that is when I get the banging noise. It is like there is a valve rapidly opening and closing.

Can anyone tell me why the water pressure is fluctuating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Platinum 28 HE making a banging noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock