Currently reading:
Baxi Combi-Tec 33 HE Issues with Temp

Discuss Baxi Combi-Tec 33 HE Issues with Temp in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gtech

Hoping someone might be able to advise on an issue with this Baxi 33HE.

Been in approx 2yrs and installed by Warm Front. In the last 7 or 8 months we've had an issue with Temperature.

The system is fitted with a wireless heating controller\sensor "Honeywell CM61NG".

Main sensor/controller is in the hallway. We will set it for say 22deg, half hour later heating is still not on, so go and inspect the baxi, and the digital display is showing 99.

Turn the boiler off, then back on, display will drop down very fast, and then will pickup what temp is requested by the sensor downstairs and will operate fine then for maybe a day or so, then back to the same situation.

We have done the Honeywell re-sync a few times and this does'nt seem to make any difference. Batteries have been replaced in the controller downstairs, so its not that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...... Summer is fine, but dont want the hassle again all over winter.

Many thanks

Graeme

Yep water pressure is fine, no issues with that at all. We just had to go do a reset to get the heating on, controller downstairs was set or 21deg, boiler display was showing 99 hence it thought it was more than warm enough.

Id disconnect the programmer and put link back into boiler
that way if boiler works fine u know u have a problem with the programmer!

U need to undo the 2 x pozi screws on either side of controll panel on boiler lift front cover vertically(slightly) & hinge the control panel down towards u.
on the left hand side u will see the power cable ( make sure boiler is switched off at fused spur)! going into the connecter block.
nearest u live then neutral then earth
THE the 2 x link wires at top disconnect programmer wires and using a small piece of wire bridge then together.
Put back together job done.

Yes this will stop boiler being controlled by stat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wireless programmers can be a pain!! and if you have been re-sycing it then it could have become very confused. When you have to start messing with these they can become quite temperamental.

Many thanks, that sounds clear cut enough........

Presume the heating "Temp" control will then be controlled by the boiler and NOT the remote stat ???

Any suggestions/advice appreciated....Its not a major problem, just one of them damm niggles you just want to get to the bottom of.

What I dont THINK helps is the position they put the receiver in:-
Approx 6" under the boiler and right next to two copper pipes, all this then housed in an upstairs fitted wardrobe!!!

see if u can extend wire on receiver and relocate so its in the bedroom away from the cupboard,but disconnect and checkout that boiler is opperating ok.just use temp setting on boiler.

Agree with you on RF Stats but only the cheaper models, i find the Honeywell range the "Mutts Nuts" as they say "you pays yer money, you takes yer chance"
I changed out a Salus to a CM927 and binned another Salus this morning. ( only been in 12 months the pair)

You say your display goes up to "99" if that is the case you probaly have a blockage..Run hot water and see what the display goes to..report back........

What has the RF stat got to do with the LCD display on the boiler? it's only a relay.

And why does to OP think housing the receiver next to a few pipes in a cupboard is bad practise in some way?

I'm reading some very confusing advice on this forum.

The system is fitted with a wireless heating controller\sensor "Honeywell CM61NG".

Main sensor/controller is in the hallway. We will set it for say 22deg, half hour later heating is still not on, so go and inspect the baxi, and the digital display is showing 99.
Is the flame symbol showing on the control in the hall and is the green light showing on the CM61NG?

The CM61NG requires a permanent 230V supply to run the electronics. Does it have this or has it been taken from the CH ON terminal of the old programmer?

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the late response, been away on hols.

Okay, this problem with the CM61NG... When its turned on YES the flame is showing on the controller downstairs and the green light is ON with the receiver upstairs.

The issue happend again this morning:-

Turn boiler on to Manual, set required temp for 20.5 deg, flame comes on. 20 mins
later house is still cold and rads are luke warm, go upstairs look at the boiler and the
digi display is displaying 89. Reset boiler, digi display then drops down to 20 is and
rises slowly to the required temp.

I have just discovered what some may describe as a bit of shoddy workmanship, or someone not doing final checks:

The receiver that was SUPPOSED to be mounted to the wall, had a hole drilled in the
wall then the screw in the recieiver just pushed into the hole to balance it in place.

Wires that go into the main control panel on the front of the boiler, the cable
retaining collars have'nt even had an attempt at being used. This now puts doubt
on the initial install ......IMHO

Going to extend the wires to the receiver and take this out of the cupboard where the boiler is fitted and see if this helps. Does anyone have an install guide for the CM61NG so I can find out the precise operation for setting up the link between the two units.

Re: "being close to pipework" - I was only repeating what was on Honeywells web site about the receiver not being placed close to metal piperwork or mains supplies. This can have an adverse effect on RF.

Many thanks

Graeme

if u do what i originally posted and link out the thermostat/controller it should tell u wether u have a boiler fault or a controller fault!!!!!!

Ok guys been sometime on this issue and to be honest due to decent weather had forgotten all about it, however, damm cold today so heater on and back with the same old issues. So followed the advice here and disconnected the wirless unit and stuck the jumper wires in.

For a while all seemed ok. Manually set the rad temp to about 70 and all SEEMED to be fine, half our later went and checked the boiler and got an "E133" code. So did a reset and all was fine again.

Just went and looked again and its "E133" yet again.

So this time, reset and the code cleared. Dropped the Rad temp right down to about 30, waited 10 mins then turned it all the way up, after a couple of mins the boilder fired up and came up to the required temp, but I have a feeling that in half an hours time we are going to be back to E133 :(

Had a read in different places and some engineers are saying E133 is down to the electrodes need re-gapping, but cannot find info on what they need gapping to.

Getting to my wits end on this, and to be honest we've had a couple of bad experiences with boiler engineers around here so are very dubious about calling one out. Unless anyone can make a recommendation for the Darlington, Co Durham area.

Many thanks

Graeme

Go on the Baxi site and find an installer in your area , its that simple
Or if you are that unsure get a fixed price repair from Baxi
Has it ever been serviced ?

Last edited:
Go on the Baxi site and find an installer in your area , its that simple
Or if you are that unsure get a fixed price repair from Baxi
Has it ever been serviced ?

Yes it was serviced in November of last year, all the stickers are there that give the dates, etc. The unit itself is only 2.5 yrs old.

Think we are just gonna take the plunge and get the British Gas Policy that covers ther repairs and annual servicing, gets rid of any headaches then.

Thanks for the advice.

Graeme

Think we are just gonna take the plunge and get the British Gas Policy that covers ther repairs and annual servicing, gets rid of any headaches then.

Dont waste your money..

Went out to BG serviced fires last week, they have never had the fires off the wall since they took it over, condemmed both fires...:mad:

Just cause they are BG dont think they are doing it correctly..

Bet they try and sell you a Carbon Monoxide Detector though.:rolleyes:

Dont waste your money..

Went out to BG serviced fires last week, they have never had the fires off the wall since they took it over, condemmed both fires...:mad:

Just cause they are BG dont think they are doing it correctly..

Bet they try and sell you a Carbon Monoxide Detector though.:rolleyes:

Already have them fitted, digital ones - cost me a damm fortune as the wife was convinced we were being poisend......and we was'nt :)

Well home after working away, its damm cold up here and no bloody heating and guess what....the "efficient" british gas have'nt even responded to anything I did online....thats a good start.

So back to my self diagnostics with your help and patience.

Okay the wireless unit is totally disconnected. And here is what we have, will keep it as bullet points to keep it short:

• Water and Rad temp set half way = digital readout drops to cold temp then rises very quickly (1 digit per second) to 80 and shuts off (thinks its at temp)
  • Full reset and tried the above 4 or 5 times and same result every time
  • Set water temp to 12 o'clock (off) and Rad temp to 7 o'clock, Ok for around 5 mins then E168. Did this twice
  • Water at 2 o'clock, Rads at 8 o'clock - Rads coming up to temp, been ok so far......
As a side night, pressure is at about 2.1 Bar (still in the green zone)
Pump does'nt seem to be making any odd noises
Serviced in November 2009
Unit is approx 2yrs old.

Any help would be appreciated very much

Graeme

Phone installer as it is less than 2 years old it is under warranty ! The installer will contact Baxi who will have an engineer repair it .
From your last description it sounds like heat exchanger blocked !
But then E168 is control board fault

"Er Indoors" has just informed me I'm a duffer :) installed in November 2007 by Warm Front, so over 2yrs.....sods law and the way my luck goes.

Water is fine, its the damm heating side and its damm cold tonight.

Sorry for the duff info

If you've faced an E168 fault, either as an installer or a consumer, please sign the following petition. Please also pass on this petition link to anyone else you know that has suffered this problem. Potterton E168 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Combi-Tec 33 HE Issues with Temp in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back