Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom rads on hot water circuit (conventional system) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arch Panda

I'm getting conflicting advice so I thought i'd try on here for a bit more information.
All our half landing bathroom rads are on the hot water circuit - some plumbers say they must come off the circuit and go on the heating circuit, others say they can stay. Which is right?

Background & further info here:

We have a victorian house with an interesting collection of pipe work, some left from a previous solid fuel boiler system. Last year we had the boiler & HW cylinder replaced and now have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic boiler (kitchen)& pressurised cylinder (loft).
We have 2 bathrooms and a separate WC all adjacent to each other on a half landing. We are in the process of just turning them into 2 adjacent bathrooms which means changing some of the rads around.
Currently there is a conventional rad in the WC & the hallway, a chrome ladder rail in one bathroom and a reproduction rad in the other bathroom.
We would like to leave the hallway one as, remove the towel rail completely , directly replace the WC one with a slightly larger rad and move & replace the reproduction one with a modern rad. They are all on the HW circuit and the hall & WC ones at least seem to have been plumbed in parallel as they work with the TRVs we had fitted as part of the work last year.
I believe that as we have a heat exchange system rather than a directly heated system that there is no reason they couldn't stay on this circuit but some plumbers say they must be removed others say its ok - who is right?

(it'll be a right PITA to move them over to the heating circuit as no pipework runs to this part of the house at the moment hence my reluctance to just do it)

Thanks for any help you can give

welcome to the forum panda.
Ideally you should have separate control for hot water and radiators.
energy efficiency etc, but as its existing ...

if the rads in the bathroom have trv's then at least you can easily turn them off now that it is warmer.

I personally would want them on the heating circuit, as with the high capacity coils on modern cylinders the Hw loop won't be on for long

If you have the time and money why not run the towel rails on their own independent circuit with its own 2port and programmer?
then you have complete control over it.

Leave rads on the pipework and put 2 port at the cylinder. . Rads can run when they like and cyl safe. But this isn't compliant with part l of building regs

make sure the replacement rads are nice n thick coz they will corrode out with all that fresh water running through them in no time at all.

make sure the replacement rads are nice n thick coz they will corrode out with all that fresh water running through them in no time at all.

Its not a direct cylinder so that shouldnt happen they are just on the same pipework that supply the cylinder coil so system water which should be inhibited.

As Ermi says though if you run them on the DHW, they will only be on for a very short while whilst the DHW is being heated...

Honeywell Evo rules :clap: - virtual zones where you want them, when you want them as complex or simple as you want them (and probably cheaper than re-plumbing as not all rads have to be on evo trv's you can use normal room stats as well)

Still have yet to find anything else that gets close and is so simple to install.

Still Heating water just on the hw circuit, ie (coil) no fresh water lame,

Still have yet to find anything else that gets close and is so simple to install.

Locksheilds with wheel head , loo roll shoved over it with some glitter and stickers and the controller ice cream tub with the same level of decoration and a few batteries for good measure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bathroom rads on hot water circuit (conventional system) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If we go away for the weekend, leave Friday afternoon and back Sunday night, the hotwater is lukewarm at best up our return Sunday evening. I then need...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock