Discuss Bath running out of cold water halfway through running. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We have a low-pressure gravity system, with the water tank in the loft. We have always had a problem with cold water running out (i.e. if my wife has a bath and then I have a shower straight after (we have a power shower), more often than not the shower runs out of water halfway through - the cold water, not hot).

We had a massive water leak this week, which has resulted in a new water tank being fitted. It is smaller than the previous one, but still guarenteed to be a standard size for a 5 bedroom house (we have a 4 bedroom house).

Now, when we run a bath with both hot and cold running, it runs out of cold about halfway through filling the bath. The only way around it it seems is to run just the hot water first, and then turn that off and run the cold water. The water is not being used for anything else (i.e. this is first thing in the morning, there is only two of us etc).

I don't think the fitting of the new tank is the fundemental issue (i don't think so anyway, but who knows) as we have always had this kind of problem. It seems to be that the tank is not filling up quickly enough.

Can anyone offer any advice how this could be resolved in any way ?

Many thanks,
Richard

Should be 50 gallon minimum.
Was a new ball valve fitted with the new tank - should have been but you never know.
If the ball valve is new and it’s still slow to fill due to low mains pressure , try swapping the white plastic valve seat for a red one.

Does the water bounce off the bottom of the sink in the kitchen when you turn on the cold tap?

Is there a Stop tap in an airing cupboard below the tank or elsewhere that's part turned off, assuming there is one in the loft that's been used to isolate for the new tank?

Are there any new style Isolation valves used on the feed to the tank?

Is it copper or plastic pipe that feeds the mains cold to the tank?

Should be 50 gallon minimum.
Was a new ball valve fitted with the new tank - should have been but you never know.
If the ball valve is new and it’s still slow to fill due to low mains pressure , try swapping the white plastic valve seat for a red one.
Thanks very much. I have gone up there today and measured - its 70cm x 50cm x 50cm. Which by my calculations means its a 38 gallon tank. Which is probably the answer.

It sounds like one of the above. I will also add it sounds like the feed to cylinder is tapped in lower in the header tank than the cold feed to house. This is not desired and should be the other way round to prevent momentary scalding in a case such as this.

Thanks very much. I have gone up there today and measured - its 70cm x 50cm x 50cm. Which by my calculations means its a 38 gallon tank. Which is probably the answer.

You might think that, but it is actually only a 25 gallon tank; only approx 2/3 of the tank volume is “useable”.

And yes if you have a pump it is definitely not big enough.

You might think that, but it is actually only a 25 gallon tank; only approx 2/3 of the tank volume is “useable”.

And yes if you have a pump it is definitely not big enough.
Thanks for that. Ok - so i have gone up today and checked the water level. The water tank itself is 47cm high. But the water only comes up to 23cm. How high would you expect it to come up ? Using 2/3, I would make that 31cm. I pushed the ballcock down, filled it to 33cm and ran the bath. It filled up just fine......just. Any less and I think we would get problems. But if it filled to about 33 I think we would be ok and not need a new tank. Presumably the ball-cock can just be altered somehow to allow more water to fill up ?

Reply to Bath running out of cold water halfway through running. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock