Currently reading:
Bath globe taps help!!

Discuss Bath globe taps help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chrisg10

Hi everyone,

I've just joined up been reading this site for a while now and always been able to sort out my problems until now.

I have a leaking tap to fix but cant remove any of the tap.

It's and old edwardian bath with globe taps in. I have no idea how to remove the handle?? tried turning the spindle disc but that hasnt worked it just spins, there is a little hole on the side which i can get a tiny allen key in do i give it whack with a hammer then the disc will pop out?? ive took the srew out of the side of the handle but im not sure if there is one under the spindle disk?

The only thing I have managed to do is loosen the bell shaped cover

any ideas were to go from here??

Thanks in advance

Can u post a picture? Edwardian taps usually have a hex shank which you just unfasten with a wrench. Later ones tend to have a shroud covering the hex nuts.

Not quite sure what you are wanting to do. If it is a cross head with a shroud underneath, sometimes you can unscrew the shroud and get a set of narrow jaw wrenches underneath onto the hex without actually removing the head. If you do need to remove the head, there is a screw holding it onto the shaft which you need to remove, then carefully tap the head off with a mallet, or sometimes you can use a bearing puller. However you need to advise the customer that the tap could be damaged in the process. New globe taps tend to be quite expensive.

Another thing to be aware of is that Edwardian taps are usually nickel plated as opposed to chrome plated, which is more easily damaged. To get at the washers on an Edwardian tap is normally a very simpla affair so I doubt yours are as old.

taps.jpg

That picture of the taps is very similar to the ones i am working, the only difference being is the cover on them has edges to get at on were as mine is just a smooth shroud but i have managed to get that loose. underneath the shroud i can see the headgear nut, i have tried to slacken it off but had no luck yet and i dont want to force it too much and crack the bath :confused:

Its the actual tap handle i am wanting to remove from the spindle. i have removed the screw from the side. i wasnt sure if there was a screw underneath the spindle disc on top of the tap handle??

Last edited by a moderator:
that screw you can see is only there to hold the tap head to the stem of the valve

take it off and yank it apart

or order a new pair of globe taps

ok so there is no other screw under the disc on the top.

I will try the bit of wood between the handle and cover then wind it shut i've been told this sometimes works.

there should'nt be as only on screw is need to hold the handle to the stem

it would be pointless to have two and i have never come a cross a tap with a screw in the side and one under the indice

it also explains why you cant take the indice off easily

yes i thought that aswell but i though its better to check before i start trying to remove it when there could possbily be a screw underneath.

Thanks for your replys upto now. I will let you know how i get on trying to remove the handle :)

Sometimes you can reach the tap washer by just removing the shroud without taking the handle off.

looks like you will need a thin spanner to get between the body and the shroud if the shroud can be removed

worth a try

I can get to the headgear nut, by lifting the shroud up but does it hell want to move and i dont dare give it to much incase the bath cracks!!

I've been trying all morning to remove the handle yep you've guessed it aint came off!! :mad:

Probably best to remove the tap from the bath then give it a session on the floor (with a hammer?)

Your tap is from the 1920s to 1950s and looks like a standard Pegler globe tap. It isn't Edwardian.

If you have already taken the taps off the bath, wrap in heavy cloth and mount in a workshop vice to undo. Squirt WD40 on the threads and use a flogging wrench.

Advise the customer that replacement may be the best option. Pegler and Bristan both do globe taps, but remember you may need to add new check valves to comply with water regs.

heres a few pics of what i am working with.

How would i go about removing it from the bath??

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

seeing as you have tried everything else maybe try heating the headgear nut section but protect the area around the tap and edge of bath with an old damp towel also put some old dust sheets /towels in the bath to protect it.If you know someone with a rothenberger micro fire torch it would be a lot easier to use on the tap good luck:)regards turnpin

ok i will give that ago before i go down the route of trying to remove the tap from the bath.

regarding heating up with a fire torch it wont strip any of the coating of the tap will it?

To remove them from the bath, untwist them ... anti clockwise!!

Best bet is to remove from bath and hold in vice.

By the time you've messed about would it not be more cost effective to fit some nice shiny new globe taps?

Yes probably, but she's the customer and wants to keep the taps.

Yes obviously I can see you just twist the taps anti-clockwise but I think it will involve more than just "twisting" them as everything else has been stuck solid.

regarding heating the headgear nut section If you can beg steal or borrow a rothenberger MICRO FIRE torch it has a very fine flame so it will be more precise where you can point the flame the chrome/nickle finish should be fine as you are not pointing the flame directly at the tap just the headgear good luck and let us know how you get on. ps you could use a piece of wire coat hanger to lift the shroud out of the way whilst you heat the head gear :)regards turnpin

Cheers for that mate, yes I am in process of getting one. Thanks for the tip and yes I will let you know how I get on :)

You can get a spanner on the nut shaped part of the body on the inside of the bath (using a towel or rag to try and prevent marking the chrome).

Honest!! I did this for a customer not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath globe taps help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock