Discuss Back Boiler units in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyle

Hi guys,

I understand the importance of cleaning the flueways/lint arrestor/burner cleaned and checked etc, but do you guys follow the MIs to the word or just get the main points taken care of ?
The reason I ask is that I see many threads where people do 5,6,7,8,9+ of these a day and I find that incredible. I think the first one I did with my engineer ( under supervision ), took me almost 3 hours :eek:. I know I was being taught but still find it hard to believe you could fit several a day.
Will be interesting to see whether you guys give these backboilers a 'general' service covering just the main points.
Kyle.

I think the biggest point is the clean, or check that it is clean.... could be a huge difference between a back boiler or a combi.... i agree ive never had a back boiler done in less than an hour, generally three was about right.

Most people dont follow the M.i. but you can only take shortcuts if you understand what your doing. Saving time does make you more money in the long run.
Got to remember it is two appliances your servicing.

gb-gas

Last edited by a moderator:
5 or 6 back boiler units is about as many as you can properly service in a day, depending on condition of them, and how good you are, some guys will come on and say they can do 9 or 10 a day, but they are checking them over not servicing the boiler and fire

In my opinion it is impossible for anyone to carry out a BBU service any quicker than 80 mins to a safe standard. So providing they are door to door you are talking 5-6 BBU services per 8 hr shift. I am basing this on your average Bermuda 401 with no other issues arising. (which is unrealistic)
I have said it on here before. I challenge any so called engineer to show me 8+ BBU services being carried out to a safe standard in a 8 hr shift.

I Agree with al points. You can't possibly strip down any back boiler clear it service it with new thermocouple and then service the fire front in any less than 80min usually takes me about 90mins and i've been doning these for 15 years now

I've said it before and I'll say it again..... I'm so glad I only do commercial work! BBU's look a complete nightmare from what I've read on various threads on these forums!

i used to work for a company doing servicing with bbu we were doing 4 a day,but at first our company was arranging 8 a day.no chance 5 at a push, to dangerous to be rushing this kind of stuff me thinks

Must agree, 80 mins seems average. But same problem people expect far more than 3 or 4 a day. Also people being out, travelling time, stuff being in the way, protecting with dust sheets and so on, all added time but seldom seems to be thought of.

Gas Safe should stipulate how many appliances a day can safely be serviced by the average guy or gal and come to a common industry agreement. Then companies could compete on price on an equal level.

i think these people that say they are doing 6 0r 8 BBU per day are talking out there back sides or not doing the job correctly

i think these people that say they are doing 6 0r 8 BBU per day are talking out there back sides or not doing the job correctly

let me start by saying the work i did was 99% social housing, we had street after street to do, day after day, of the same boiler, and im telling you i can do at least 6 per day, every day, on the days that i didnt get a lot of no access, occassionally you get one sooted up and it requires a job and a half to fix it, but on a serious run 6 is no prob, remember i might do 3,4 or 5 in the same building then go next door so no travel etc, once you whittle the tools down to about 5-6 different ones in a tray etc these are all the things that make it do-able

ok i will make an exception in kirkgas as he points out they are all local ,happy days wish i could do that

It's shouldn't be a case of how many you complete, it's got to be that each job is done correctly & safely. It won't be your Boss who's pressuring you to do extra work that gets taken to task !!!

It's shouldn't be a case of how many you complete, it's got to be that each job is done correctly & safely. It won't be your Boss who's pressuring you to do extra work that gets taken to task !!!

i think the point of how many you can complete is relevant in that over the course of a large contract which is properly run then most BBU's will all require the same tasks done on them to ensure full safety, so it must be fairly easy to time how long it takes to do the job properly, i think we could all come up with the same list of checks to ensure the BBU is safe, the prob is too many guys and girls know what they should be doing but this isnt the same as what they actually do, there are some firms in glasgow who "demand" the engineer does 8 BBU's per day, you simply cannot put someone under this pressure as they might get 4 N'A's today and 24 tomorrow so how can the guy still do the same number of services, and i do "discuss" with guys how they say they can do 8 services on BBU's every day, no matter what condition and how many N/A's they get, they simply shrug and say if they dont do 40 per week they get monies deducted, so i simply shrug back and say your choice, but i know who i wouldn't go to work for

hit the nail on the head ,If you dont do the jobs you dont get paid ,hence very unhappy family with mounting debts , total crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back Boiler units in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock