Discuss Are these cables safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Sorting out some pipework where previous "plumber" didn't put inserts in his speedfit which the whole bathroom was done in and noticed these cables under a floorboard. Don't know if they were anything to do with him.

Do they look like they've been made safe properly? I know not of these things. But given rest of shambles, you get suss.

Thanks

IMAG0174.jpgIMAG0176.jpg

You could test to see if they are live or dead with volt stick pen or better a muti-meter but either way I would wrap the chocolate block in insulation tape.

Terminal blocks should always be inside an electrical box.
240 volt cables are dangerous, no matter if they are cables for lights or something more powerful

Terminal blocks should always be inside an electrical box.
240 volt cables are dangerous, no matter if they are cables for lights or something more powerful

Agree ^
Or a proper cable connecter.

I always thought they had to be in junction boxes.

I use IP68 cable connectors in my job in wet or dry areas, think they are made by TEETUBE which technically is a junction box but easily hidden away. Get them from fleabay 100 at a time.

Just seen they are sold in screwfix & maplins as well.

Last edited:
Too many Cowboy or DIYers were wiring these low voltage lights in, using a terminal block on the 240volt mains cables to the transformer and another terminal block on the short cable to the light. Neither were correct - the 240 volt cable is dangerous for anyone putting their hands in that area and should have a junction box and the low voltage cable needs to have a heat resistant connector - like a ceramic terminal block

As long as there dead as in disconnected from the board complete then yes theres nothing wrong with that in my eyes,

Ive been know to do the same when disconnecting cables from the board but leaving them in in case there needed in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are these cables safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I did a job today in a block of flats, fairly old place, plumbing was all a bit ropey in this particular flat. The job was to change an...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Looking to 'crowd-source' some public opinion on this one. I bought a studio apartment on 30th September 2022 and I'm currently working with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock