Discuss An under-estimated estimate!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see how you can under quote jobs be such large margins, you cannot hide behind estimates to hide poor judgement. Unless its really something that could not be predicted it should be in your quote. Your mate not turning up is not the customers problem, a structural defect in there house which requires rectification is there problem and they should pay.

It was an estimate not a quote, and the price was given to me by the chippy. Obviously it falls to me to rectify now, but all the prices I am getting from other chippy's are a lot higher. It was not my poor judgement for me to provide this estimate-it was my poor judgement of my so called mate!! I could not have predicted hijm being an arse!

Splitting heirs, you provide a cost to the customer they expect you to do it for that price. I agree your pal letting you down is a pain but its defiantly not the customer fault. Estimate or quote you can't put the price up unless something has radical changed. I feel your pain used to happen to me with tilers, I now do my own tiling. Once you have these problems ask the customer if they want you to continue? It might be that they will just become a liability and not be happy no matter what you do.good luck

I've been in a similar situation with a tiler, he done a runner wouldn't answer the phone etc turns out he underpriced the job and didn't want to do it.
Anyway I paid out an extra £600 just to get the job finished and out of the way, if its under a grand I would just pay to get it done move on, you'll waste more time worrying about this job when you could be earning on another job. If its over a grand keep all paperwork respond to everything though e-mails including email your ex mate with questions over pricing and what went wrong and go though the courts.

Not to be argumentative as we're all entitled to our own opinion, however, in your opinion what is the difference between a quote and an estimate?

If you've been badly let down by a tradesman on a job you were involved in how would you deal with it?

would you swallow the whole amount or expect the customer after negotiation to pay half or all of it?

Estimate or quotation is the same you are giving a price based on your expert opinion and judgement, in truth bathroom refitts are not that hard to quote or estimate for that matter I guarantee I can do the job within the price. People price jobs so tight to get the work , I alway leave 10% contingency in my refitts to allow for the unexpected. I never go over on jobs, I have been let down but I always stay in control. Flapping and telling the customer is the last resort, plus I always put a bit on any trades to cover the risk. Better to not get the work than to get it with no margin for error

Based in Croydon/Surrey area. If someone wants to get in touch please do. Just reluctant to pick someone from thin air who's work I am not familiar with. But might be worth a try.

What do you actually need doing? I am based near you and may know a couple people who could help. Drop me a PM if you would prefer.

As a last resort, turn his mains off in the street, (at night) pour a bag of postcrete into the hole add water if required and walk away.

Don't get seen.

Hope you get sorted mate,ive been in similar position but another mate helped me out and i returned the favour,i was lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to An under-estimated estimate!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
I need to replace a 3/4 or 22mm blending valve on a Telford Trident electric hot water boiler. see attached picture of the original part. Telford...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock