Discuss An under-estimated estimate!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the customers problem that you under quoted his job, find a chippy and pay them. You go to court with this you will get spanked, estimate or not it's your mistake. Or walk away and learn by your mistake.

Not to be argumentative as we're all entitled to our own opinion, however, in your opinion what is the difference between a quote and an estimate?

If you've been badly let down by a tradesman on a job you were involved in how would you deal with it?

would you swallow the whole amount or expect the customer after negotiation to pay half or all of it?

It's not the customers problem that you under quoted his job, find a chippy and pay them. You go to court with this you will get spanked, estimate or not it's your mistake. Or walk away and learn by your mistake.

How can he have under quoted the job when he only gave an estimate do you know the difference between an estimate and a quote? The figure for finishing the works often bears no relationship to the amount on the estimate that's why you estimate. ffs its not a fixed priced so how can it be classed as a mistake why should he lose any money over it.

Surely we all as tradesmen can't go in and give "an estimate" specifically including other trades men's work to complete a project and then decide it was heavily underestimated..... , the customer choose you for the work based on yourself, your price and probably your friendliness, knowledge, etc etc.

I give all my customers estimates but break it down (minimum of 4 pages) to cover all "quoted for" aspects,,, I also state

Here goes.... Deep breath ..l.l
"The above estimate includes specifically those items strictly listed above only and does not include any additional work over and beyond that detailed in the estimate of works which is either requested by yourselves or unforeseen work that we come across during the normal course of our scheduled works as detailed above. Changing the work;
If you want to change the work, you must : confirm this in writing; and do so within 14 days, if you first tell us. We will then adjust the price if necessary.
The price will be adjusted by:
written agreement beforehand, if possible; or if not then later written agreement; or if not then
referring to any priced documents, if this applies; or if not then
a reasonable amount for the work done or goods supplied.
Every change which extra or revised work (as opposed to a change leaving something out) may mean extra costs.

Unexpected work
If unexpected work arises, we will tell you and ask how you want us to go ahead. If so, the above price adjustments will apply.

END OF QUOTE

Firstly I wonder what you guys think of this, but I did write it, and pulled some from FMB ! But in my eyes it states clearly what ; they and I am responsible for, surely "guessing " what a chippy would quote is wrong, put it this way , what if you had quoted on behalf of a plasterer, tiler and electrician too, but all were out by twice as much... ( not likely to happen i know) but the cunsotemr would need a second mortgage to pay that!!! If you pulled something apart and there is underlying
problems, or they ask for different work or more then yes, but I firmly belie the customer is right on this occasion.....

You need to sit down, work out were it's best, and maybe walk, hardest thing to do, and tbh I haven't walked yet, I should have a few months ago when customer had my pants down, BUT that is the reason I now have a four page quotation !!!! Enjoy I hope! I also don't know what was originallyy agree.... Always always get it wrote down on paper, and get a sign off sheet / customer satisfaction sheet on completion,

You can't imagine any of us on here quoting ÂŁ5k for a wet room, starting it then completely underestimating the prep work For new strengthening of all timber walls and floor and adding an extra ÂŁ3k on!!! It's just not on! Bit of give and take but .........

TPT is spot on. I also have something very similar in my quotations. I always give a detailed description of works. And an itemised materials list. I think it is very important. I do all my own plastering, tiling and joinery though so only have to worry about an electrician. And he is as reliable as can be.

I fail to see how you can under quote jobs be such large margins, you cannot hide behind estimates to hide poor judgement. Unless its really something that could not be predicted it should be in your quote. Your mate not turning up is not the customers problem, a structural defect in there house which requires rectification is there problem and they should pay.

I agree, I've paid for my mistakes but have never been let down like the op has! If I'm at fault I'd openly accept responsibility but when something beyond your control causes the dispute it must be a bitter pill to swallow...!

Yes, very bitter! All the advice on here is great. Good to know that others have been in similar situations too!

The lesson to be learned here is never get involved supplying other trades, that is until your business is large enough to cope. Next time let the customer find and supply his/her own joiner or whatever trade is required. That way you can stick to what you do best i.e plumbing and not worry about other trades.

Yep and what a lesson!! Still, you think you can trust your mates but..........

jdplumbing where are you based ? as someone on here might know a joiner.

Based in Croydon/Surrey area. If someone wants to get in touch please do. Just reluctant to pick someone from thin air who's work I am not familiar with. But might be worth a try.

Surely we all as tradesmen can't go in and give "an estimate" specifically including other trades men's work to complete a project and then decide it was heavily underestimated..... , the customer choose you for the work based on yourself, your price and probably your friendliness, knowledge, etc etc.

That's good info to put on any future estimates.

Would just point out though that the estimate I gave my customer which included the chippy's estimate wasn't off the top of my head-it was what he said he would do the job for. If he had managed to do the job for the price he gave me, then I would not have a price on my head!!! Lots of lessons learnt here!

I give all my customers estimates but break it down (minimum of 4 pages) to cover all "quoted for" aspects,,, I also state

Here goes.... Deep breath ..l.l
"The above estimate includes specifically those items strictly listed above only and does not include any additional work over and beyond that detailed in the estimate of works which is either requested by yourselves or unforeseen work that we come across during the normal course of our scheduled works as detailed above. Changing the work;
If you want to change the work, you must : confirm this in writing; and do so within 14 days, if you first tell us. We will then adjust the price if necessary.
The price will be adjusted by:
written agreement beforehand, if possible; or if not then later written agreement; or if not then
referring to any priced documents, if this applies; or if not then
a reasonable amount for the work done or goods supplied.
Every change which extra or revised work (as opposed to a change leaving something out) may mean extra costs.

Unexpected work
If unexpected work arises, we will tell you and ask how you want us to go ahead. If so, the above price adjustments will apply.

END OF QUOTE

Firstly I wonder what you guys think of this, but I did write it, and pulled some from FMB ! But in my eyes it states clearly what ; they and I am responsible for, surely "guessing " what a chippy would quote is wrong, put it this way , what if you had quoted on behalf of a plasterer, tiler and electrician too, but all were out by twice as much... ( not likely to happen i know) but the cunsotemr would need a second mortgage to pay that!!! If you pulled something apart and there is underlying
problems, or they ask for different work or more then yes, but I firmly belie the customer is right on this occasion.....

You need to sit down, work out were it's best, and maybe walk, hardest thing to do, and tbh I haven't walked yet, I should have a few months ago when customer had my pants down, BUT that is the reason I now have a four page quotation !!!! Enjoy I hope! I also don't know what was originallyy agree.... Always always get it wrote down on paper, and get a sign off sheet / customer satisfaction sheet on completion,

That's good info to put on any future estimates.

Would just point out though that the estimate I gave my customer which included the chippy's estimate wasn't off the top of my head-it was what he said he would do the job for. If he had managed to do the job for the price he gave me, then I would not have a price on my head!!! Lots of lessons learnt here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to An under-estimated estimate!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
I need to replace a 3/4 or 22mm blending valve on a Telford Trident electric hot water boiler. see attached picture of the original part. Telford...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock