Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Aluminium van racking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrum

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Following on from the thread in the other section about van racking and keeping them tidy etc, I said i'd upload some pic's in here (away from prying eyes) thought you boys might want to see what I was talking about.

Only just got the van and only just set up on my own so not a great deal amount in there yet, although everything that is in there was 'donated' from the firm that laid me off :smug: (including van vault and bins)

Cost me £80 for the aluminium angle which was 9x 5mtr lengths of 1"x1"x1/8" the last van that I did I used 1 1/2" instead which was stronger but nearly twice the price, plus it was a VW crafter so had to span longer distances. This stuff is fine for this van (transit MWB semi high) It's all pop riveted together so easy enough to do, I used a 1mm cutting disc on a grinder to cut, and it's very light but strong. I think it also will add some value.

I also fitted a new ply line floor and walls and the timber for it all was £80 which included the shelving although I did recycle some of the old floor in places as I am on a tight budget being a new set up!

So I reckon £150 all in would get you it all if anyone is interested in the price. The biggest expense is time, took me 3 days to fit out, although for me it's not so bad as I haven't got much on and makes sense to do it now rather than when/if I get busy, having to take time off work.

764853b9.jpg

74952978.jpg

c65ce3bf.jpg

The twin rocket launcher pipe rack is ideal as it keeps it all inside and safe, but also I can separate plastic to copper which stops the plastic getting all marked up, I do a bit of electrical work as well, and nothing worse than manky trunking!

Hope that helps!

Sam

Looking good. Almost identical to mine but in reverse! I've got the metal storage racking fixed in the space above where your van vault box is, but at the other end of the van and the wee blue storage boxes clip onto it for all my fittings, although I also fixed a self tapping screw through each box to stop them falling off when going over speed bumps!

How long for is anyone's guess!

Good to have a spot for everything though, can easily find it and replace in the same spot. Forgot to add, the wheel arch boxes are all accessible from the back so I have got metre long drill bits, tube benders, long level, full size broom and short length's all going in there rather than waste the space.

Looks great mate. Same van as mine. Wish I had seen this before I did mine all with timber. Never occurred to me to use aluminum. Well done.

nice job you have done there, sorry to see someone has nicked all your gear.lol.

i woulld have used square line guttering for the pipes, then you can access the smaller lengths?.

Other way around redsaw, I nicked all the gear thats in my van! :ciappa: Going to stock up a bit tomorrow but I have all the basics for the work I do, don't really touch bathrooms etc so I have a box above the cabin which has a selection of waste fittings in which is enough for me.

I'm also trying not to carry around bags of stuff when I can stock a load of gear in my garage and restock every morning,the price of fuel an all that, keep the weight down!

I won't be putting cut lengths in there, only full un's, cut lengths have their own place in the wheel arch, the gutterings not a bad idea although would be a pain to support and always the chance of it flying out. I may see if I can add a length above it though for the odd longer than 1.5 mtr shorts lol. I would have just chopped off the excess and chucked the short bit in the scrap bag.

That looks awesome! Good price too, i'll be looking for something similar. Where did you buy all the materials a local merchant? I'd have to get someone to do the work for me but if the materials are that cheap I wouldnt mind!

I got the aluminium from Blackburn metals but this is the third van I have done like this so they recognise me, not sure if that mean't i got a better price or just being friendly! The last one cost £250 just in aluminium, but it wrapped around the bulkhead as well and was a VW crafter so a lot more of it, and I got the bigger stuff.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Aluminium van racking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock