Search the forum,

Discuss Why do some Immersion Heaters have twin thermostats? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom one usually works on a timer on a cheap rate due to it being used at times when there isnt much electricity usage. the top one is usually the boost. You get these when customers have no gas and are on tariffs like economy 7 or total control.

Bottom one usually works on a timer on a cheap rate due to it being used at times when there isnt much electricity usage. the top one is usually the boost. You get these when customers have no gas and are on tariffs like economy 7 or total control.
LOL! I know that, read the question again

jeez its been a long day. never noticed that. appologies.

I always just thought it was for unvented cylinders that have normal immersion bosses.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you will find that immersions have twin thermostats because of stats failing, one stat will be the adjustible stat and one will be a non resetting failsafe stat

this is linked back to the incident back a few years when the was a fatality because of a cylinder boiling, making the cwsc boil and the cwsc colapsing into the bedroom below

http://www.wras.co.uk/PDF_Files/Scalding%20information%20note%20Jan%2008.pdf < further reading for you

All immersion heaters supplied within the UK & NI are supplied with twin stats , one control stat and one high limit stat.
Though you may find new immersion heaters supplied with both controls, high limit and control built into one thermostat rod.

Hope it helps.

TTB

Think it is compulsory to fit immersions that have the manual resettable overheat cut out. Only ones I know of are built in to the stat.
Danger of hot water replacing the cold in the cold storage tank makes you think the old method of the cylinder vent going safely through the roof wasn't a bad idea.

so if one stat fails in a twin could that prevent immersion heater heating up properly??

so if one stat fails in a twin could that prevent immersion heater heating up properly??

If one fails. The other will prevent it from over heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why do some Immersion Heaters have twin thermostats? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock