Search the forum,

Discuss What docs and actions needed after new boiler install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rongagain

My daughter is in the process of having a new boiler fitted and whilst I am confident in the installer I just want to ask what documentation or certificates should he leave with her?

I tried searching but I am reading of logbooks and Certification of compliance to Part L 1? It seems confusing or I am not seeing it.

Also I read that my daughter has to tell the council, not the installer? What will they issue?

So please someone tell me what documentation and what actions are needed.

I would rather know now and get everything, than find we need to chase something up when she plans to sell next year.

Many thanks

You'll want a completed benchmark

And also a registration with gas safe to then supply you with your l1 cert

You'll want a completed benchmark

And also a registration with gas safe to then supply you with your l1 cert

What is a benchmark?

I assume the installer tells gas safe?

What about the council, anything to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
A benchmark is a form that comes with the boiler. To be completed by the installer. This is a record of what was done at time of install

The installer will contact gas safe. Gas safe will then inform the council of your new boiler

I was going to ask a similar question -we've just had a combi boiler fitted by a GSR plumber but although he gave us brief instructions on how to use it, how to set the timer and how to use the refill loop if ever necessary we were given no paperwork at all (except the invoice!) and no mention was made of registering the appliance with GS or anyone else.

I was unaware of the benchmark form until having skimmed through the instruction manual today and I note it says the manufacturers warranty will be invalidated if the commissioning form is not completed by the installer.

Obviously that is reason alone to contact him and get him to fill it out but I'm also curious as to whether the form is a legal requirement, a code of practice requirement or both.

At the very least you should have the user instructions and any documents that came with the boiler.

The benchmark Log will be in the Manufacturers installation and servicing book that comes with the boiler,you need this book,not only for filled in log book to help cover manufacturers warrantee terms but also future service/breakdown engineers will require them,to refer to it to gain certain settings for that particular make and model of boiler ,it is the installers duty to leave this book with you

As for registering the boiler to show it meets todays energy efficiency standards,this is your responsibility,however for you to register the appliance can be expensive as the council will have to do certain checks to verify the appliance does indeed meet todays requirements

To over come this ,legitimate installers of the appliance will be able to register the appliance for you through schemes run by various registered bodies that the installer should be a member of,ie gas safe,they do not require to offer this service

They may charge a small fee for this service or provide it as part of the quotation,however if this is not discussed before installation or mentioned on the quotation,the installers are under no obligation to register the appliance for you and if done ,is done under good will only

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm slightly concerned that copper dragons benchmark has not been completed as this will invalidate any warrant on the boiler. There's no real reason for this to be missed out. I don't register boilers with GS until all invoices are settled but theBenchmark is completed before ileave the property. Copper dragon are you sure your engineer is Gas Safe Registered?

Do manufacturers really care about the benchmark being filled in? I cant imagine the engineers even ask to see it if called out to a breakdown.

Do manufacturers really care about the benchmark being filled in? I cant imagine the engineers even ask to see it if called out to a breakdown.

If they want to wriggle out of a warranty, like everything else in life, if the i's are not dotted & the t's all crossed you'll find yourself paying for those mucho expensive parts.

mikimac, must admit I didn't ask to see his ID card but I obtained his reg. no. and checked it online on GS website.

The number came up as unrecognised when I checked under individual engineer but was recognized under the business name which is the same name as the individual-he is obviously a one man band (not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that of course) -he is shown as the reg.engineer for that business and as qualified to work on gas appliances including boilers.

its £300 for the council to register it and they can enforce you to remove the boiler if its not fitted by gsr person bit like having an extention done and not telling building control gas safe will inform the council and its free by gsr person like above if its a costly repair they could riggle out of it if benchmark not filled in and has valid gsr number on it

:hurray: that's the most important thing for you, the customer. Ask him to fill the benchmark for you & if he would register your boiler through Gas Safe who will notify Building Control of your Local Authority. This will need to be done as these documents may be needed should you decide to sell your property in the future.

@sparra1100.....registering via Gas Safe isn't free But it is cheaper than going through Building Control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What docs and actions needed after new boiler install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock