Discuss What can be done about this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

What’s the best way to sit the panels onto a tray or bath?
The trim some company’s sell looks a bit naff

This one the boards are floor to ceiling and the tray up to the boards. Got one next week and the tray is going in first. I think we are going to just cut the boards to fit and sit them on tray and seal up.

Method is this.

Fit tray/bath as normal and seal it to the wall.

Sit board on three 1 mm packers, leave these until adhesive dry, then remove and silicone up. Pump the 3mm gap full and finish with a smoothing tool ( I use the 8mm chamfer which gives approx 5 mm coverage).
The reason for three 1 mm packers and not a single 3 mm packer is so you don’t break a piece of the laminate face off when you remove them.
Slide out the middle one of the three, then press down and the others should come out easily- yes I learnt this the hard way , got away with superglue and custard never knew! But I could see I may not be lucky next time so developed the above method.

To deal with slopes wiggles etc in ceiling and walls. Draw a horizontal line and measure up and down from it, if ceiling bad I take a measurement every 50 mm across. Same with draw a vertical line and measure left and right.
DONT just get an overall height as you will be way off, especially if tray is slightly bowed ( aren’t they nearly all?) or , heaven forbid, the tray’s not quite level!
If you are in a hurry then leave the packers in, cut them flush with the board with sharp chisel and then just press them back a few mil so they’re hidden by silicone ( you shouldn’t have to do this and I would really advise against siliconing the same day as fixing the boards.)

Method is this.

Sit board on three 1 mm packers, leave these until adhesive dry, then remove and silicone up. Pump the 3mm gap full and finish with a smoothing tool ( I use the 8mm chamfer which gives approx 5 mm coverage).
The reason for three 1 mm packers and not a single 3 mm packer is so you don’t break a piece of the laminate face off when you remove them.
Slide out the middle one of the three, then press down and the others should come out easily- yes I learnt this the hard way , got away with superglue and custard never knew! But I could see I may not be lucky next time so developed the above method.

To deal with slopes wiggles etc in ceiling and walls. Draw a horizontal line and measure up and down from it, if ceiling bad I take a measurement every 50 mm across. Same with draw a vertical line and measure left and right.
DONT just get an overall height as you will be way off, especially if tray is slightly bowed ( aren’t they nearly all?) or , heaven forbid, the tray’s not quite level!
If you are in a hurry then leave the packers in, cut them flush with the board with sharp chisel and then just press them back a few mil so they’re hidden by silicone ( you shouldn’t have to do this and I would really advise against siliconing the same day as fixing the boards.)

Quality info. Will use that on the bathroom next week.

What do you use to stick the boards with?

Geocel the works, or stixall are the two I use depending on availability.
Dow Corning 785 in the tongue groove joints.
I don’t use the internal corners, nice tight scribe and plane, then thin bead silicone .
All cut with handsaw and plane up to line.

Sticks like **** I use when I have to do the panels

If ceiling is bad you mearsure every 50mm, wow must be a cabinet maker....:D

Method is this.

Platerer's need re=educating, straight edge's, derby's, get it flat man!!

Reply to What can be done about this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm studying plumbing and my work mate sized the opportunity to help him installing a new radiator. I'm looking for general advice which...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock