Search the forum,

Discuss Very very low hot water flow in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I’ve been doing my first refurbishment is a two bed flat with a bathroom and ensuite . Learnt a lot and been grateful for input’s especially from Shaun. The customer had ordered swan neck mixer taps for kitchen, bathroom and ensuite. On installing then all the hot water flow is none existent in the kitchen which has a tall swan neck tap. When the low lying bath hot water is running there is no flow in the ensuite or kitchen.
I have no idea what the flow was like pre refurb but I suspect that moving from low taps to swan neck has exacerbated the hot water flow issue. The flat has a direct gravity fed cylinder.
I’m a novice in this but I suspect that a salamander pump or a pressurised direct cylinder would improve the flow. Are there any conclusive test that can be carried out before I recommend to the customer to go with a pump/pressurised cylinder.
Kind Regards
Tezzer

More than likely you have fitted high pressure taps on low pressure hot system.
Pressurised cylinder would be a cure but a correctly sized/fitted whole house pump would do the job.
Not salamander! Not what they were
Stuart Turner monsoon every time.

How much head is there?

Are the taps suitable for low pressure? What is the minimum required head on them?

If you're going down the pump route how big is the storage tank?

How big is the cylinder?

As it's a flat does it have a Fortic cylinder like the one below or is the cold from a central higher level tank feeding all the flats?
Have you checked if all / any valves are sheared or seized or just part closed?

Pressurised cylinder would be a cure but a correctly sized/fitted whole house pump would do the job.
The customer pre purchased all the taps etc. The pump you suggested looks like the best option rather than replacing the vented system. Thanks for the recommendation.

How much head is there?

Are the taps suitable for low pressure? What is the minimum required head on them?

If you're going down the pump route how big is the storage tank?

How big is the cylinder?
The flats water tank is quite small. I'd say about 90 litres. The cylinder is again about 170 litres. I suspect gravity is playing a part here as both components are in an airing cupboard, with the tank just above the cylinder.

As it's a flat does it have a Fortic cylinder like the one below or is the cold from a central higher level tank feeding all the flats?
Have you checked if all / any valves are sheared or seized or just part closed?
I check the valves and all seemed to be fully opened. The bath being the lowest seems to run fine so I kind of deduced from that that the valves are opening ok. The system is conventional tank (90 litre-ish). Above the cylinder 170 litres-ish. I suspect gravity is playing a part here as both components are in an airing cupboard. Not alot of height.

If you’re fitting a single impeller pump for the hot, you need the hot cylinder to be fed from a cold water tank of at least 25 gallons. If it’s a fortic tank (combination cylinder) then you should not pump it.

Might struggle to pump that with such a small cistern

You can get away with not pumping it but it will mean changing the taps for decent low pressure ones and making sure the pipe work doesn’t have any restrictions. Use swing check valves or full bore ones and full bore ball'o'fixes

Are the colds all mains pressure or are they from the cistern?

Last edited:
It’s calling out for an unvented as it’s a fortic cylinder

Reply to Very very low hot water flow in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock